Highlighted

Lightroom Classic Backup Question

New Here ,
Aug 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm new to lightroom and am attempting to set it up correctly the first time so I don't have tons of mistakes to fix in the future.  I've imported a ton of raw files to get started and selected to back them up upon import to a different drive.  I already see a problem with this workflow, as i realized once I went to delete some unwanted files via lightroom, it would not remove them from the linked backup as that is not in the catalog to my understanding. I would like to keep the files in the backup the same as the files in lightroom (delete files from hdd in LR and have them be removed from the backup).  I don't see a way to do this in program in my current situation of already having all the files in there.  Can i A) completely remove the backup, go through and delete the files i want, then create a backup?  that's a less than desirable option..or is there a 3rd party program that can compare the file contents of LR file storage directories with the files in the backup directories and have an option to delete those that do not match?  And now I just realized that once I rename any files that would not be possible by file name.   It's only storage space  so it's not the end of the world if i have to keep them in backup..but this is really going to add up, and I'm not willing to delete from LR and back as 2 actions every time.  I'm a little lost as to how to attack this any assistance would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

Jeff

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lightroom Classic Backup Question

New Here ,
Aug 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm new to lightroom and am attempting to set it up correctly the first time so I don't have tons of mistakes to fix in the future.  I've imported a ton of raw files to get started and selected to back them up upon import to a different drive.  I already see a problem with this workflow, as i realized once I went to delete some unwanted files via lightroom, it would not remove them from the linked backup as that is not in the catalog to my understanding. I would like to keep the files in the backup the same as the files in lightroom (delete files from hdd in LR and have them be removed from the backup).  I don't see a way to do this in program in my current situation of already having all the files in there.  Can i A) completely remove the backup, go through and delete the files i want, then create a backup?  that's a less than desirable option..or is there a 3rd party program that can compare the file contents of LR file storage directories with the files in the backup directories and have an option to delete those that do not match?  And now I just realized that once I rename any files that would not be possible by file name.   It's only storage space  so it's not the end of the world if i have to keep them in backup..but this is really going to add up, and I'm not willing to delete from LR and back as 2 actions every time.  I'm a little lost as to how to attack this any assistance would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

Jeff

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 04, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That second copy of your files that was backed up to a different hard drive is completely unlinked to Lightroom. It is simply a second copy of the images. That's all it is. You can do what ever you want with it, and there is no way to link it with Lightroom. I cannot advise you on any third-party software because I don't use any. I simply backup my entire hard drive that contains all of my images occasionally. You will have to decide what software you want to use to do that process. Whenever you choose to do with that second copy will have no impact whatsoever on the work you are doing in Lightroom, and there is no way to link that backup to Lightroom.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 04, 2019 0
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, thank you...i just don't want to duplicate my efforts with deleting files..

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 04, 2019 0
WobertC LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff, (not knowing your OS) my method to keep an exact copy of files (photos and Lr Catalog), in Windows-10, is to use SyncbackFree.

Free Backup Software for Windows - powerful, easy to use

This software can create and save customized profiles in which you specify the 'Source' and 'Destination' for a backup. In your case it sounds like you want the "Mirror" option set so that the 'Destination' always exactly matches the 'Source'. Thus when you run a profile Syncbackfree will copy new files and remove deleted files on the 'Destination' drive.

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 10.0, Photoshop 22.0, Lightroom 4.0, Windows-10. Nikon DSLR.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 04, 2019 0