Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom import turned all RAWs into JPGs

New Here ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this community but not new to LR. I just imported about 400 photos from my SD cards into folders in my desktop (MBP 2018). I then disconnected my SD card reader and imported these files into LR. They all turned into JPG both on the desktop (they were NEF before) and on the SD cards (there are 2 of them). I cannot begin to explain how this could possibly happen as both cards were not connected to the computer when I updated LR.

Has it ever happened to anyone? I'm about to cry! When I put the cards back inside the camera, the camera reckognizes the files as JPG and not RAW! 

I never shoot JPG nor RAW+JPG so my settings have remained unchanged since I bought that camera!

If anyone has any idea of what could have happened and if I can reverse that process?

I'm wondering if there is a way to check what happened to a file, like a history of edits etc...?

:(((

Thanks for your insights!

Ari

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom works non-destructively and will never change your raw files. Have you checked your camera capture settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only logical explanation for this is that you by accident had your camera set up to shoot jpeg. There is no other way this could have happened. Apart from the fact that it never touches your originals, Lightroom cannot magically change files on disconnected sd cards. It is just not possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here we go again! We went through this a while back. Lightroom cannot, does not, will not convert raw images to JPEG. There is no routine that is part of Lightroom that will do that. It just doesn't happen. You must have inadvertently changed the settings on the camera. That is the only logical explanation. Of course, now you cannot verify what format the images were before you imported them, so it's going to be difficult for you to believe anything we say. But it just isn't something that is part of the Lightroom import process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A Mac user!  Any chance you used the 'Photos' App to import the photos?

The raws would be hidden in a package, the JPGs may be only Photos thumbnails.

(Me- not a Mac user 😞  )

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines