• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Library.lrlibrary and Mobile Downloads.lrdata File sizes

Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2018 Jun 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've searched the online docs and forums for this issue and I find similar discussions/replies, but not exactly my issue.  I use LR Classic CC Lightroom CC.

I have about 43GB of files in the CC cloud, but this Lightrooom Library.lrlibrary file is 90 + GB on my Macbook's HD.  I looked at the settings for the photo cache and it was set to 25% with no local storage.  I reduced that to 10%.  Shouldn't this .lrlibrary file shrink down?  Why is the local file twice the size of my cloud storage? Is there anyway to reduce this fie size?

I also have a file called mobile Downloads.lrdata that is 30 + GB.  I have some folders in Classic that appear to be mobile downloads, but not anywhere near 30 + GB.  Why is this file so big?  Is there anyway to reduce this file size?

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I cannot find any answers suitable to my situation.

Any thoughts you may have are greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 14, 2018 Jun 14, 2018

The default cache in LRCC 1.3 is managed intelligently (as long as store a copy locally is not enabled) but it can sometimes take a while for files to drop out, after import or migration.

But you can clear the originals manually once you are happy that everything is backed up in the cloud.

Go to your Pictures folder and right-click (control-click) on Lightroom Library.lrlibrary and choose “Show Package Contents”

You should find a folder with a long string of letters & numbers. Navigate to the folde

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The default cache in LRCC 1.3 is managed intelligently (as long as store a copy locally is not enabled) but it can sometimes take a while for files to drop out, after import or migration.

But you can clear the originals manually once you are happy that everything is backed up in the cloud.

Go to your Pictures folder and right-click (control-click) on Lightroom Library.lrlibrary and choose “Show Package Contents”

You should find a folder with a long string of letters & numbers. Navigate to the folder with originals and you should see files in dated sub-folders.

It is safe to trash everything in Originals.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this is excellent and worked as advertised.  My very crowded hard drive thanks you.

Do you know if I can do the same thing to the mobile Downloads.lrdata file?

If you know, will the .lrlibrary file perform more intelligently now?

Thanks very much for the excellent answer!

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This ended up being terrible advice for me. Yes, my hard drive recovered 81gb. But, even though the files were indeed synched with the cloud, it deleted them off of LR on my computer. I am now getting an error message saying that many of my files are invalid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you were storting copies locally rather than using the default library. Check your preference settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the shared locally box unchecked. Is there a different way that it may have been storing locally that I am not aware of?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case I’m not sure why you are seeing any errors. You can check what originals are stored in the cloud by logging-in using a web browser.

https://lightroom.adobe.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to avoid saving more originals to my disk space? Or do I need to remember to delete the originals on occasion? I don't have any of the preferences selected to save items on my computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Originals should drop out automatically although this sometimes happens more slowly than expected. After importing new photos I generally delete the contents of the originals folder once cloud sync is complete and I’ve finished all my editing, notably checking focus and sharpness etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same issues and appreciate LEGEND answer - I checked the original folders and noticed that mine were files I had deleted. So just in 2020 that was almost 20Gb of unneeded files. Thanks - this saved me a lot of HD space!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for this. Just got back half my HD back!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK YOU THANK YOU - Just spent the last hour browsing in other forums and you've been the only one with an answer that is so simple and actually works! Happy to have 100GB of storage back, never seen before!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines