Highlighted

Lightroom Library.lrlibrary File sizes

New Here ,
May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Inside my long string of numbers and letters file, the thing taking up most of the room is the "proxies" subfolder, which in turn has two subfolders "720p" and "2560" and that 2560 one is taking up more than 25GB.

I don't even know why because I store my originals to an external SSD. Any ideas? 

Topics

Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lightroom Library.lrlibrary File sizes

New Here ,
May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Inside my long string of numbers and letters file, the thing taking up most of the room is the "proxies" subfolder, which in turn has two subfolders "720p" and "2560" and that 2560 one is taking up more than 25GB.

I don't even know why because I store my originals to an external SSD. Any ideas? 

Topics

Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
LEGEND ,
May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The proxies are used for display on your monitor and make the application more efficient when viewing thumbnails in the grid (G) view or full screen in the detail (D) view. 720 will probably be video files and 2560 will be the smart previews for image files. So you should always see an efficient streamlined view even if your external SSD was temporarily disconnected from your computer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Proxies are previews with the edits applied, so you can see what you have done to the images. Lightroom is a non-destructive editor, which means that your originals are untouched. That's why you still need proxies, even if you have saved a local copy of the originals. If Lightroom would show you the originals, you would see unedited images.

-- Johan W. Elzenga, http://www.johanfoto.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines