• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom lost my days work , is there a temporary file I can find?

Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a temporary file I can find on my computer ?  I just lost 5 hours of work.   Why doesn't it save to the hard drive and the web at the same time?   is there a history file?   

Regards, John

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Lightroom have a Recovery file folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, sorry. Lightroom does not have such a feature. What exactly happened and what version of Lightroom are you using? There is a known bug in Lightroom desktop that the edits of the last image are not saved if you quit Lightroom while still in edit mode, but that is only one image. Lightroom constantly saves edits.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows just force restarted for an update and I hadn't closed Lightroom yet,  it remember the photograph but completely forgot the adjustments I made. Which is kind of what I expected to happen anyways but.. I would have saved if knew .. how

Hi,  I may have run into that bug.

I know it passively saves once in awhile I don't know how to adjust the frequency for auto saves,  for me it could be quite High especially if I saved to my hard drive.            I clicked the cloud button hoping that's where I could signal it to tell it to save it's not clear what's actually happening there at that icon.... I'm actually not sure how to save.  I merely export

Does Ctrl+s  save it? 

What would be helpful is just save the last three Edit Settings no matter what in your history 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Ctrl-S does not save settings, because they do not need to be saved. Because of the bug, you need to go to the next image before you close Lightroom. But as said, that is one image where you can lose edits. I don't suppose you worked on one image for five hours, or did you?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom Classic, it has always been a matter of your editing being saved as you go. And it is supposed to have been that way in Lightroom as well. However, it seems that it hasn't been quite as reliable lately. I cannot document that reliably because I primarily use Lightroom Classic.

In reality, there is nothing to actually "save" because neither Lightroom Classic nor Lightroom makes any modification to the master image. All modifications are simply stored in the Lightroom catalog. In Lightroom Classic the user has access to that catalog, in Lightroom that catalog is not readily accessible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim, I'm pretty sure that all the Lightroom cloud apps (desktop, mobile, web) do not sync adjustments made to an individual image until the user moves onto a different image (or exits the app). So to "save" adjustments, the user needs to move to a different image or close the app. I suspect it's done that way in order to find the simplest (and maybe safest) way to deal with the possibility of the same image being developed in different apps at the same time. It would be rather chaotic if each slider movement was synced immediately (as Classic does, which rather makes Classic the outlier in this instance), whereas with the current method it's a more simple case of "last user wins".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Then if that's really the case I honestly see no reason, personally, to depend on Lightroom (cloud version) for any serious editing. Maybe it's good for a little touchup here and there, but I don't want to have to worry about whether or not I have moved on to it different image or what ever. I guess I have just become too accustomed to LrC. I have mentioned this in the past, and I still feel the same way. Whenever I try to use Lightroom to edit I just feel like there has been a barrier placed between me and my images that isn't there when using Lightroom Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines