Highlighted

Lightroom migration

New Here ,
Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to open a catalog I created in an older version of Lightroom and keep getting this error message: "The Lightroon Classic catalog appears to be an exported catalog or has been copied" - which is not the case, but then tells me to "Open the catalog in Lightroom Classic, fix any issues, then retry the operation" I have now downloaded 4 different version os Lightroom, and nothing is working.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lightroom migration

New Here ,
Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to open a catalog I created in an older version of Lightroom and keep getting this error message: "The Lightroon Classic catalog appears to be an exported catalog or has been copied" - which is not the case, but then tells me to "Open the catalog in Lightroom Classic, fix any issues, then retry the operation" I have now downloaded 4 different version os Lightroom, and nothing is working.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The title of the thread is 'Migration' and you posted this in the Lightroom CC forum, so are you trying to migrate an old Lightroom catalog into Lightroom CC? If so, I think you can only migrate a Lightroom Classic catalog, not older ones like Lightroom 5 or Lightroom 6. You can download a trial version of Lightroom Classic to upgrade the older catalog.

-- Johan W. Elzenga, http://www.johanfoto.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did create this catalog in Lightroom Classic and did find a Classic version to download (I recently was given a new machine at work which is why the program no longer existed on my machine). The catalog opened just fine in Classic and at this point I just might keep it in Classic because the message that "this catalog appears to be an exported catalog or has been copied" is complete nonsense and I don't know how to "fix" this because I don't understand what is wrong with the catalog. BUT, the only thing you can do in CC is migrate an existing catalog there is no "open" catalog under the File menu.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That message normally refers to something else. It refers to the fact that you had previously synced a Lightroom Classic catalog to the cloud, but this is not that catalog. As you can only sync one Lightroom Classic catalog, you get this warning.

In Lightroom CC there is indeed no 'Open' menu to open a Lightroom Classic catalog. These applications are very different and Lightroom CC does not use a local catalog. The only thing you can do is migrate a Lightroom Classic catalog, but that is a one time exercise to change from Lightroom Classic to Lightroom CC.

Quite frankly I'm not sure what you want to do. Do you want to use Lightroom Classic and sync its catalog, or do you want to use Lightroom CC and so you want to migrate your old catalog?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not realize that updating Lightroom would make it a completely different animal. I just thought, well, I have a new machine might as well upgrade but at this point I think I will have to keep it in Classic. What do you mean by "syncing" its catalog. What would that do for me?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you synchronize a catalog then you can create collections and choose to synchronize those collections with Lightroom CC. Lightroom Classic CC will then synchronize smart previews with Lightroom CC. If you choose to migrate that catalog to Lightroom CC then it migrate full-sized images to the cloud. Smart previews do not impact your cloud allotment, but full-sized images do. In either case, the images can be edited on your computer or on mobile devices. Be sure you understand what you are doing before you make your decision.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both for all your help. I see a greater understanding of Lightroom CC needs to happen before I do anything at this point.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you misunderstand something. There are two 'flavors' of Lightroom right now. Lightroom Classic CC version 8 is the most recent version of the application that has been on the market for ten years now. It is the version that stores images locally. You can sync the catalog to the cloud however, and then mark collections for syncing. Lightroom Classic will then sync smart previews to the cloud, which you can view and edit in the mobile versions of Lightroom. Lightroom Classic is not old or outdated, it is updated regularly.

One year ago Adobe introduced another application, called Lightroom CC. That is a different flavor of Lightroom, which stores its images in the cloud. You could say that is is the mobile version, for Windows or MacOS. Lightroom CC is not an upgrade from Lightroom Classic, it is simply different. You'll have to make up your mind which version you want to use. Maybe this can help you with that: Lightroom CC vs. Lightroom Classic CC | Adobe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are very correct on that. I did not realize that these were sort of different applications. When I opened CC I did notice how incredibly different the interface was and I was a little miffed about that. Thank you for explaining the difference between the two apps. I will read that article you mention and get the skinny. Thanks for your patience with me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines