• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom on PC - Change photo cache location

New Here ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to relocate my LRCC install to another drive (from my SDD to a bigger storage HDD) because I am running low of space on my SDD, however it still kept my photo cache in my SDD drive. I cannot find any options in the preference to change the location. Is it possible to change the photo cache location? Using LRCC on a Windows desktop.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

OK, our messages keep crossing, but we do agree. Set the cache to zero percent.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not move the installation. Simply move the cache location in preferences. It is there

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can change the location for storage of originals (if you do store a local copy). I'm not sure that you can change the location of the photo cache. What you can do however it set the size of the cache to 0%.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hit this button:

Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 9.42.20 AM.png

That allows you to change the location of originals. It also changes where downloaded originals are stored (i.e. the image cache)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not so sure that is true. The photo cache is where previews and smart previews are stored. I believe that cache is always the Library. Here's a screenshot that I took after I placed the location of the originals to another drive ('Fotobestanden'). As you can see at the top, Lightroom still checks the size of 'Macintosh HD' (the internal drive) for the photo cache, at least that is how it seems. As you can also see, you can decide to store a copy of all smart previews, but you cannot choose the location. They are alwys stored on Macintosh HD.

1 2019-11-26 18-49-26.jpg

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested it and it does download the originals for temporary use to the new location specified in the Storage location place. I think you are right that the interface still looks at the main disk which I think is just a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it's more than that. See the remark I just added about the storage of smart previews.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the smart previews and normal previews are always stored in the library on the main harddisk. You cannot change that. You are absolutely right. However, if you can change where the originals are stored that you are working on - even the ones dynamically downloaded from the cloud, that can save already a large amount of space. Unfortunately you can't go deeper than that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 29, 2019 Nov 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S. I do have a few cached originals on 'Fotobestanden', but as you can see in the screenshot, the photo cache is zero. That too suggests that the photo cache is where Lightroom stores other (temporary) images, such as previews and smart previews, not originals. And that photo cache location you cannot change.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2019 Nov 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jao_vdL and JohanElzenga,
Sorry for the late response, thanks for taking the time to reply and helping me out. I've set the cache to 0 now so it doesn't take up space in case I use LRCC. I've also installed Lightroom Classic as I found the interface has more parameters we can control in terms of settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, our messages keep crossing, but we do agree. Set the cache to zero percent.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 29, 2019 Nov 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Gianfranco,

I've just been through this whole issue myself, I did what you did, installing lightroom on a new larger drive via settings in my account in Creative cloud. However in my instance it worked.

I did the following:

1) Uninstall Adobe Lightroom via Creative Cloud interface - this removes the program but not the 'user' files

2) I then went into C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Adobe\ and deleted the folders and files in here

3) I changed the default install location in my account in Creative Cloud - Go to Files > Preferences - in the window that opens select Apps from the LH nav - scroll down to a section titled Installing - change the default install location to your new bigger drive, you have to specify a folder, so I just created one called Adobe.

4) Reinstalled Lightroom - this was installed to the Adobe Folder on my larger drive

5) Opened lightroom - went to Edit > Preferences - chose Local Storage from the LH nave - changed the Storage Location for Originals to a folder with all my photos in on the same Big HD drive I'd installed Lightroom on

6) Restarted Lightroom

7) Went through the Add Photos routine, then chose the same folder I'd selected in step 5

I have about 37000 photo's and after it had done its thing I clicked 'Add Photos' and it started processing them, its still doing so now as I type this, and I can see that Lightroom has created a cache folder in the same folder  on my larger drive that I'd specified in Step 5. Before I did this I got errors everytime I tried to 'Add Photo's due to insufficient disk space for the cache on 'c'.

Hope that helps and good luck. 

Jon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines