• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom originals taking too much space?

New Here ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am currently on vacation and importing quite a few pictures to Lightroom. I don't have a lot of space left on the hard drive of this laptop, so I set the photo cache size to 10% of available space. According to Lightroom, I have 17.81 GB available. It shows the following:

Required space: 660.04 MB

Photo Cache: 1.72 GB

Store a copy of smart previews: off

Store a copy of originals: off

Now the problem: all photos are synched and backed up. Still: the folder C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Adobe\Lightroom CC\Data\  contains 15.7 GB, most of which (13.2 GB) is in the "originals" folder. Lightroom doesn't count this when calculating the available space (see above), so I actually have very little space available and Lightroom as well as other programs start complaining that the hard drive is full. I have already freed up a few GB by deleting other files, but every time I import photos it gets worse. Why does Lightroom use >13 GB of cache when I only allow it to use 1.7 GB and all photos are synched to the cloud?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If all you have free on your hard drive is just under 18 GB then your hard drive is essentially full. A hard drive needs to have at least 20% of its total disk space free at all times in order to function properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but I already knew that. Do you have an answer to my question also?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Lightroom configured to save a local copy of your images?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I don't. That's what I thought at first, but that would be much more ( I think I have around 150 GB of originals in the cloud). I think only the recently added photos remain on the hard disk. But I would expect anything over the set cache size to be deleted as soon as it's synched...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I'm primarily a LrC user. Keep watching, someone will have an answer for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Being as you are on vacation, have any of the recently imported photos synced to the Cloud?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, all of them have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like no one has an answer to this? Is it just a bug?

Can I at least just empty the "originals" folder, or will this cause trouble in some way? Note: everything is "synched and backed up"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2023 Apr 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The best would be to buy an external drive.  Then define that drive as the storage location for your originals. PREFERENCES => LOCAL STORAGE =>  STORE A COPY OF ALL ORIGINALS => BROWSE   

Quit R and restart it.  Your originals will be saved to the new external drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines