Highlighted

Lightroom - RAW file - How to fully view image

New Here ,
Dec 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can the data from a RAW file be fully viewed?  Original picture image data, left and right of the "on screen" image, is missing from the RAW photo when opening it in lightroom.  Lightroom seems to automatically crop a certain amount of image data when opening it.  Can this be altered to fully open the image?  I have attached picture from lightroom and another editor.

Topics

New user

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lightroom - RAW file - How to fully view image

New Here ,
Dec 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can the data from a RAW file be fully viewed?  Original picture image data, left and right of the "on screen" image, is missing from the RAW photo when opening it in lightroom.  Lightroom seems to automatically crop a certain amount of image data when opening it.  Can this be altered to fully open the image?  I have attached picture from lightroom and another editor.

Topics

New user

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quite possibly you have set an in-camera crop ratio, e.g. 4x3 on a camera which natively shoots 3x2. In Lightroom try opening the crop tool to see if the additional data is there, in which which you should be able to recover it by resetting the crop.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response.  I tried the crop tool but, the additional data is not displayed for some reason.  Maybe this feature works better in PhotoShop not Lightroom???  The crop tool in "Capture One" will open the additional data and I can adjust for it.  Do you know if this feature will work with PhotoShop?  I like the simplicity of Lighroom but, I will go to PhotoShop if I can get this feature to work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jao_vdL LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using Classic there is a plugin from Adobe labs called DNG recover edges that you can use to recover the cropped areas that will sometimes work for these. Unfortunately Adobe made the decision to implement these in-camera crops by throwing away the data. Lots of people complain about this. They do the same thing with automatic lens corrections for mirrorless cameras that can't be turned off. It's very unfortunate that there is no way to turn either of those off and you lose parts of the data. Many threads on https://feedback.photoshop.com on this such as https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/disable-built-in-lens-profile . The feedback site is where Adobe takes feature requests and bug reports. The current forum is for users to help each other out and there are no real Adobe engineers here.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines