• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom starts moving images to "Deleted" folder during sync after migration

Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since a couple days I am in process of what so far seemed like a flawless migration from Lightroom Clasic CC to Lightroom (cloud-based), both the most up-to-date versions. I am on Windows 10 with my desktop apps. My catalog consists of about 112,000 images, organized in (former) collections and sub-collections.

The migration process started flawlessly within Lightroom (desktop app). It took about a day to successfully transfer my catalog into the cloud. After this process, the Lightroom app begun to sync all images (even though I am not completely sure why this has not already completed duting the day-long migration). The top-right cloud icon is still showing the progress indicator as I write this, with about 15k more images to go from the initial 112k. This process is much slower, taking more than 48 hours so far.

Sometime during this process I installed the iOS app to just take a quick look at it. I chose to disable automatic transfer to the cloud for workflow reasons. The app started to sync the pics as well, with more and more images coming in. I quit the app and also had a quick look at the web-based service.

There, the first oddness came to my attention: the website showed about 54k images with a "sync problem" label. This was the exact amout of images that the desktop app still needed to sync. I quit the browser.

When I went back into the Lightroom desktop app to check the sync process, weird things began to unfold: I observed the counter of the "Deleted" folder changing from 0 to a few hundred, then thousands of pictures, quickly increasing.

In a little panic I quit the desktop app, restarted the computer, uninstalled the iOS app and restarted the desktop app. Since then, everything syncs fine again, with now only 13k images to go. However, I have 10k images now having synced to the "Deleted" folder. (This amount was also subtracted from the count showing next to "All pictures", so we're not talking about some odd issue with duplicates or anything.)

To make long story short: in a few hours the "final sync" will most likely be complete, with 10k pictures in the "Deleted" folder. I know I have 60 days to recover them. But will the pictures be recovered into their former folder structure? If not, what workflow could anyone suggest to put the pictures back into the folders they once were contained in? And why would any of this happen in the first place? Any help greatly appreciated!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

For anyone interested: everything worked out fine. If you restore pictures from the "Deleted" folder, Lightroom puts them back into all albums they were previously assigned to.

My advice, however, is that until the migration is fully complete, including the first sync to the desktop app, just be patient and don't fiddle around with the other apps or the web-based version.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For anyone interested: everything worked out fine. If you restore pictures from the "Deleted" folder, Lightroom puts them back into all albums they were previously assigned to.

My advice, however, is that until the migration is fully complete, including the first sync to the desktop app, just be patient and don't fiddle around with the other apps or the web-based version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines