• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom storage

New Here ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recently built my own editing PC and I have 14TB of storage.  In that 14TB i have a 500GB SSD for my adobe products.  Little did I know that the local storage would be set to the SSD.  I was new to this and just thought I could start editing away without doing some assigning.  I am out of storage and cant even import any photos.  How can i relocated my imports to store in the HDD's instead of my SSD.  I only want Adobe software to run from my SSD not store all its files in it. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom on the PC, open the Preferences where you can [Browse] and choose the location of 'local' files.

Please wait for another answer (from more knowledgable user) on 'how to move' your local files from the SSD to the 14TB area.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried that about 100x and it wont actually change the local file.  It keeps it the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screenshot of the Preferences>Local Storage tab to help us figure out how you currently have Lightroom configured.

There are various aspects to the space that Lightroom requires on the local system, some space is always needed on the local system drive but this may be influenced to some degree by those Preferences settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMG_5369.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the drive "Windows 7 x64" your C:\ drive, or a different drive? According to that screenshot, Lightroom is wanting 200GB of free space on the C drive, and there's only 195GB free.....but the specified location for the local copy of the originals is stated as being on the drive called "Windows 7 x64". If the C drive in indeed that "Windows 7 x64" drive, you need to redirect the local copy of the originals to a different drive....but if they are different drives something else must be going on. So let us know if those are the same or different drives, and we'll go from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I browsed for the Windoes 7 x64 drive and put that there recently.  It used to say C:/ drive.  The C drive is my SSD and everything is being stored on that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In which case, it seems that Lightroom has got itself into a muddle. Try unchecking the option to "store a copy of all originals" to see if that brings the "Required Space" down to something more reasonable and which should allow new imports etc. We can hopefully reinstate that option when we are sure that Lightroom is respecting the new designated location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing happened, unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, either your local library is totally messed up, OR your catalog is so big that it really does require 200GB of space for all the stuff it needs to store locally. How many images do you have synced to the cloud?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, there should be no way that 7000 images would need 200GB of space. Had you been attempting a large import when this problem started? Do you know if all the images that you have imported have been synced up to the cloud?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are all synced up to the cloud.  I had an adobe professional help me with an issue two years ago and he dove into my computer from a monitoring system where he could control my pc from his desk.  I think that would be easier to have someone look into it.  That is if you're up for something like that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That shouldn't be necessary yet. Can you confirm that you are running Windows 10 version 1803 (or later), just to make sure your operating system is supported for Lightroom (the "Windows 7 x64" drive name means we need to be sure). Assuming you are running Win10, and if Lightroom is currently reporting "Synced and Backed Up" when you click on the cloud icon at the top right of the Lightroom window, probably the best way to proceed would be to simply delete the Lightroom local library from your system. After doing that, restarting Lightroom will simply recreate it by downloading what it needs from the cloud, in doing that it should clear up the problem which exists in the current local library.

The procedure would be:

1. With Lightroom closed, browse to C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Local\Adobe\Lightroom CC\ and delete the "Data" subfolder inside. 

2. Start Lightroom, then as soon as possible check the Preferences>Local Storage tab to make sure that "Store a copy of all Smart Previews" and "Store a copy of all originals" are both unchecked. If any of them are checked, uncheck for now.

3. Wait for Lightroom to finish restoring the local cache (it will need to download previews of all 7000 images, plus rebuild all the local catalog information), then check the Preferences>Local Storage tab again to make sure it now looks "normal" in the sense that the "Required Space" should probably be less than 20GB. Post a screenshot if it's more than that.

4. At some point after the restore has completed, and assuming you want to keep a local copy of the originals, then update the location for originals (to point to a different drive) on the Local Storage preferences tab, before you enable the "Store a copy of all originals" option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please report the top 10 lines from Lightroom Menu: Help>System Info.. so we know exactly what version of Lightroom you are using.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom version: 3.1 [ 20191126-2330-434c343 ] (Nov 27 2019)

Adobe app says there is no new update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines