Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom suddenly imports into folders on its own

Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Until now I have always named a folder, moved my RAWs from the camera into it, opened Lightroom and then imported the folder.
Then I had the folder with content in my LR library. More recently, Lightroom "forgets" the folder and automatically imports into a year folder and subfolders by day, which throws my system out of whack.
I don't know that I have changed anything in the import settings, but maybe I accidentally set a wrong check mark or something.
Does anyone know anything about this please?

Kind regards

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

It sounds as though in the import dialog you have the import type set to either "Copy" or "Move" (which requires a new folder to be created during the process), rather than "Add" (which simply adds the selected folder and contents to the library). So, check that setting (top of the centre panel of the import dialog)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

I'm not understanding....if you first copy the images from the camera card to a folder on your hard drive, and you then want to import that folder of images into Lightroom then you have to make sure that the import option is set to ADD, not COPY or MOVE. In fact it should default to ADD when a local hard drive folder is selected in the left-hand Source panel of the Import dialog, so if it's not doing that something else is going on (such as an Import Preset being selected). 

Perhaps you could

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds as though in the import dialog you have the import type set to either "Copy" or "Move" (which requires a new folder to be created during the process), rather than "Add" (which simply adds the selected folder and contents to the library). So, check that setting (top of the centre panel of the import dialog)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was exactly it!

Thanks a lot!

...if one knows it´s pretty easy, by mayself i´d never had found that, that problably saved me a lot of grey hair 😄 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, so i had yesterday a tour and came back with a full camera.

Did all described above, made even sure to have the import options right (move) and the same thing happend.

LR created a folder (2021) and in it, subfolders with the date of the day.

I assume its a bug, right?

Or does we have other options to try left? 🙂

Thanks in advance 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not understanding....if you first copy the images from the camera card to a folder on your hard drive, and you then want to import that folder of images into Lightroom then you have to make sure that the import option is set to ADD, not COPY or MOVE. In fact it should default to ADD when a local hard drive folder is selected in the left-hand Source panel of the Import dialog, so if it's not doing that something else is going on (such as an Import Preset being selected). 

Perhaps you could post a screenshot of the import dialog when you next try an import, hopefully we can figure out what's going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, thanks again for your helpful words!

I made a test run this time. First i used ADD / Hinzufügen and as you said, it does the job and work as i wanted and as it was in the past.

Then i tried MOVE /Verschieben and then it happend again as i described from beginning.

As i know now, i wish i could erase the other options and keep the one that works for me 😄

Thnaks again, i really hope that was the clue.

Best

Andreas

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-31 um 10.04.19.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-31 um 10.09.50.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-31 um 10.10.09.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines