• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

(Lightroom) Unreliable performance

Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2020 Jan 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently trying out Lightroom (Coming from Lightroom Classic).  On iPad/iPhone the performance is excellent and very constant.  On my desktop computer which is way more powerful (4-core Xeon, 16GB RAM and 1070GTX, running the latest Win10) I find the program performance to be extremely unreliable.

From time to time, simple tasks like copying/pasting settings or moving around a Linear Gradient make the application slow-down several seconds or directly hang.  Anyone else experiencing this problem or has a way to improve the application performance?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may have a graphics card or driver issue. Go to menu Edit> Preferences> Performance and uncheck 'Use GPU for display.' If that fixes the issue go to the Nvidia website and download and install the latest driver. When installing the new driver select 'Custom' and check only

‘Graphics Driver,’ ‘Nvidia WMI,’ and 'Clean Install' boxes. Restart your system and in LR Desktop recheck 'Use GPU for display.'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2020 Jan 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I found my solution to my problem! For some weird reason, Lightroom was running horribly on my system which is a beast system. It's a Ryzen 1800X with 8 cores/16 threads, 32 GB of RAM, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Samsung drive, Nvidia GTX1080, etc. But if I did anything reasonably complex like adjustment masks, it would bog down. It drove me mad why I couldn't get great performance. I never saw the CPU usage spike, never saw the GPU usage spike, never saw the RAM maxed out, etc.

I read that some of Lightroom's functions do not use the GPU and that it was better to disable it. So I did that and it helped a little bit.

However, the big boon was disabling Windows 10's memory compression! I noticed that even though I had 32 GB of RAM, it was never even close to be maxed out. I always had at least 10 GB of free RAM. But for the consumed RAM, I saw about 10 GB of compressed RAM. So I disabled it, rebooted, and then tried to use Lightroom and now it's much faster!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines