Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom using too much RAM

New Here ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there, my name is Ofek.

Lately, I have been using lightroom cc (not classic) a lot, and for no reason, lightroom went crazy with the RAM usage. I have a new and Stronge Computer that I specially bought for editing and adobe software.

- Amd Razor 9 3900x 12 core processor

-  Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 Super

- 32 GB of RAMS

Before a week, I had 16 GB RAM, which was supposed to be enough, but after some editing in lightroom, he started getting slow and sometimes stuck specialty when I exported photos. When I open the activity monitor, I saw that lightroom using like 80% of my Ram. So I went and bought another 16 GB RAMS (now I have 32GB RAM), and I thought I solve the problem.

Three days later, and the same problem starts to appear again. Lightroom starts to use more and more rams.
Today I edit some photos, and I felt it was slower than usual, so I checked again and saw that lightroom was using 15 GB of RAM.. 

Is there anything I can do to solve it?
Should I switch to Lightroom Classic?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2021 Mar 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same problem.  I'm running MacOS Big Sur 11.2.3 the latest version of LR Classic 10.2.  Let me know if you find a solution.  I think mostly goes up when I use the Develop module, even if just sitting idle.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Problem! But i have 64gb of ram and lightroom use 35gb! Adobe! Answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem with 32Gb ram.

Lightroom uses more and more RAM until it goes into freeze / stuck, no matter what kind of task is doing; syncing folders, importing photos, actualizing metadata...

Is there any idea to solve this behavior.

Thanks

-AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor 3.79 GHz

-32Gb RAM

-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER

-Windows 10 Pro. Version 20H2 / Compilation 19042.867

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2023 Dec 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep having the same problem for a long time as well.

Is it normal that after a short period of time the app uses 15,7GB of RAM (of 16GB) and the app keeps freezing (including mouse movement)? When I turn off the app, Windows 11 with other apps take 3,5GB but when I run Lightroom it goes up to 12GB very quickly. When I start masking it goes up to 15GB and the app starts stuttering and occasionally freezing. I almost can't use the new lens blur function because it keeps freezing for a minute or so after activating it.

I was thinking of increasing RAM size to 32GB but, as I can see in the previous comments, even 64GB doesn't help.

It is annoying. There must be some kind of a problem. I usually have to turn off every other app to be able to use it 😞

It seems like the problem is several years old but Adobe does not solve it 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karolina, 

Thanks for posting! What version of Lightroom Classic are you using and what is you current computer's operating system. This stuff can sometimes help the company pinpoint the problems. Mine is no longer having this problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry I didn't realize it was a thread for Lightroom classic. I use Lightroom CC and I have already posted it in the right thread 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2024 Feb 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After so much time of having problems and trying to live with them I think I have finally found the solution for my system.

I the last few weeks I tried bambillion things to solve it and I always kept getting stuttering and lags.

In the Lightroom settings I also always got the message "The graphics processor has encountered an unrecoverable error" message and lightroom always turned off hardware acceleration and used the processor instead of the GPU after several minutes of editing or just browsing photos. 

I tried to reinstall Windows 11 five times(!) and nothing helped. The problem always appeared after some time.

At first I only tried to reset the system to its factory state two times but it did not help. Then I tried to make a clean installation from a USB drive but it did not help neither. 

I was so desperate so I was ready to go and buy a new graphics card but today I decided to give it one more try and be very careful with installation because I could not believe that the GPU kept having problems only with Lightroom and no other software or games that I play on almost max settings.

So today I decided to make:

1. clean Windows 11 installation 

2. install only updates (no any software or drivers at all, only those that Windows download itself)

3. install Lightroom and test it

4. it worked flawlessly, no problems with GPU or stuttering or lagging at all

5. so I decided to install chipset and GPU drivers from AMD website and set up the Adrenalin application as I usually do and test it again

6. But this time the GPU problems appeared again. Hardware acceleration turned off itself and lagging with stuttering appeared again so I was sure it had something to do with the drivers or my driver setting

7. so I tried to turn off my usual settings that I always turn on in the global graphics tab (Radeon super resolution and Radeon Anti-Lag) and it worked flawlessly!!!

8. before I did not realize that Adrenalin considers Lightroom a game so when I turned on Super resolution and Anti-Lag globally, it also turned on for lightroom. So I turn those features on globally but turn them off for Lightroom only and I have not encounered those problems yet 😊

I hope it has solved it and it is not going to appear again.

So much struggling troubleshooting with Lightroom in the last two years and the solution was such a little detail for me.

I am glad that I have not bought a new GPU 😂🤦‍:female_sign:

I am going to keep you informed if it appears again 😊😢🤞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2024 Feb 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And now it only uses 5,5GB of RAM even when I use the new lens blur feature so I can have other apps running in the background 😊

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines