• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom v3.3 now failing with NAS and persistent mismatch between reported images and cloud images

Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe support are also comically pointless - i've been using Adobe since 1990 (actually 1988) but over the past year it's been enough for me to consider moving the business and clients away. 

The latest is that Lightroom 3.3 update now reports that my local storage is full despite having 9TB free. This is a NAS which has been in use for years, Lightroom Classic and the previous lightroom worked fine. Support just says that Lighroom doesn't support network drives. So just a sweeping statement that is no use at all. In fact support say that no Adobe products support NAS drives. I did point out that on the video front i have produced entire feature films from NAS storage and also was on prelease testing side for the video apps without issue... but no, apparently their position is that no NAS devices are supported with Adobe products)

Does anyone else have a NAS and this issue?

Adobe support has just said now that this is a known issue with 3.3... So i guess anyone using Lightroom with a NAS is not supported? Seriously?

The original library was created from scratch by migrating a lightroom classic catalogue and then imports on top of that (because the migration didn't actually copy everything across).

So comparing this local storage version with the cloud shows that local storage holds 100966 items but cloud reports 97891. However local storage was created by lightroom, so i would expect the numbers to match? In the bundle i can see that lightroom is holding 100843 proxies images and 102791 preview images. So even more odd that the main catalogue is so wrong.

So a combination of Adobe telling me i cannot use a NAS for local storage and the fact that Lightroom has no tools to check and cross reference a catalogue mean that this whole solution doesn't seem very robust?

How many photos are going missing for users and this system?

Is this just me or is this a common issue?

thanks
Paul

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me. Sorry to hear about your consequences you'ree going to proceed. I feel you.

I have trouble a while storing my data on my local computer and thought about moving it to a NAS (which means I am not independent anymore in terms of physical locations), starting setup a NAS (knowing it worked with LrC) and was terrified about it turned out, a NAS isn't supported in Lr. Holy sh*t. Just can let copying a few photos from Lr and get an error message.

Adobe people, how can you imagine, people have infinty storage on their devices to store photos on it and only use the Adobe cloud to "shift" a few of them. My storage is full, period - because I don't have influence on it which photos I don't need RAW on my local hard drive. People are a lot on the road these days and not all have fancy studios, big money and a Mac with trillions of TBs. Not to mention that USB drives are in case of fire not the first choice for security-concious people.

I am with a high-tech company and have a lot of understanding for dysfunctional stuff, but damn it! You're old!

lr.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just to add to this. I have now spoken to a few more support people further up the chain and more knowledgable than the first.

NAS are supported, there is even a page on the adobe.com site listing various models. However I have a couple of synology NASs and there are some issues with those brands specifically.

A good test is to not use local storage. Upload all the RAW into the cloud and bring back smart previews. Check that out to see if everything works. Magically Lightroom just worked - it was super fast and what i expected. This with 100k RAW photos and 1.4TB of source data. So i know for sure that the synology is the issue. I may now experiment with alternatives - the whole point of Synology for me was RAID6 and also LTO backup off the end of it (i store a lot of footage and vfx work). So at some point i do want local storage with duplicates but so far it's enough to know *what* the issue is with and now build up from there.

Symptoms of this include it taking an age to connect to the network (top right icon) to show status. I assume with local storage then LR must be doing some sanity checking before doing something else and with mine it was taking minutes. Other symptoms are obviously the disk full issues and also just general speed of moving between days of photos even if you know everything is sync'ed and smart previews are *all* downloaded. (You can open the Lightroom bundle on a mac and find the directories holding these and get info on them to see how big they are)

So not fixed, but a bit further on

Cheers
Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines