Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom web gallery : ordering problems

Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I've read several different posts about ordering pictures in Lightroom Web via the display tab, but couldn't find something linked to my problem.

I have a collection that is synced with cloud and I'm currently working on it (adding pictures when they are ready)via a Lightroom Classic synced collection.

First problem : in the display tab, when I'm choosing "Importation date" for the order, the file order is quite random. I guess the upload process is kind of random but still, pictures uploaded on the day n+1 can be displayed before pictures synced on day n.... So I don't really understand how pictures are ordered. So, I choose to order via "Capture time" which is quite certain.

Second problem : whatever is the choosen order, if I have set some titles in the display tab. Adding only one more picture to the synced gallery will result in loosing completey the photos order : titles will display ramdomly at the bottom of the gallery with or without pictures in it... I was thinking that setting "Importation order" would add the pictures at the bottom without altering the titles but it's not working either...

That second problem means I have to wait that my editing process is completely finished before being able to set titles in my gallery. And  that if I have forgotten to add ANY picture in the synced collection or want to add some later, I have to start over the title process again...

Any way to get ride of this ? To Adobe : are you working on improving the display tab ??

Thanks,

Mickaël.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible that you're not fully understanding how the Display tab is designed to work. At the basic level, it's intended as a means to allow the user to set the order in which the images in the specific album will be displayed when viewed by other people using the Shared Album feature. The display order is always going to be whatever has been set as the "Custom Order", and that custom order can be set by drag and drop in any of the client apps in the user's cloud ecosystem (including using the Display tab in LrWeb). However, via that Display tab in the LrWeb app, the user can do a few other things that can't be done in any of the other client aps: you can add dividers/headers/sub-headers/text to add interest and information to the shared alsbum for the viewers, and you can also "reset" the custom order using the option at the bottom of the Display tab's settings box.

So, you obviously understand how to add sections and text, but you need to realise that selecting one of those order options only does a point-in-time reset of the current custom/display order into whatever option order you have set. It does NOT change the "sort order" for all new images subsequently added to the album, it just changes the current "custom order".....so any images added to the album after resetting the order will only appear either at the beginning or the end of the album when viewed in the Display tab. Furthermore, resetting the order after you've added text will cause any added text to be removed, though you should receive this warning about that:

Display Order.PNG

The way I work when adding text segments in the Display tab is to broadly get the album contents together (I do the editing before this). If I'm happy to use one of the standard sort orders, e.g. Capture Date, I'll reset the order as appropriate using the control on the Display tab settings, but if I want to use a specific custom order I'll use drag and drop in the Display tab to get them into the order I want (though you can of course get them into the preferred custom order using any other Lightroom app). Then I'll add the section dividers, headings, text etc. If, after setting everything up, I realise there are some additional images I want to add to the album, I'll add them then open up the album's Display tab, locate the added images (easy enough to do) and then drag and drop them into the position that I want them displayed in. Resetting the custom order is a bad idea in this circumstance.

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim and thanks for your quick response.

My only use of the web gallery is indeed to share it with my customers. And most of the time, like you do, I send the pictures in a gallery once the postprocessing is done, then changing order in LrWeb and adding titles at the very end of the workflow.

The problem appears for me at the last step you've indicated ("If, after setting everything up, I realise there are some additional images I want to add to the album") : when I'm adding a picture after this customizing process in LrWeb, the new picture is indeed added at the beginning (which is not a problem for me) BUT the rest of the pictures are messed up : photos are no longer in their custom section , and moreover they have a new random sort ! At this point, it's less worst for me to reset the order and dividers than trying to reorder from the mess...

It's really annoying in the case a customer says "Oh please can you add a black and white version of XXX in the gallery ?"... which, in fact, is part of the normal process before the final delivery of the pictures...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the bit I don't understand. When I add new images to an album after all the text segments have been created, the new images always appear at the END of the display, never the beginning. As such, all the sections are unchanged, the new additions appear at the end of the last section, from where I can drag and drop them into the approriate place. In other words, I don't lose the initial formatting when adding new images.

I assume your problem is related to the fact that your new additions are appearing at the top of the list, but I can't see what influences that. Having said that, I've just managed to get into a situation where the last couple of additions to the test album that I'm using were added to the TOP of the list, and in that situation all the formatting has indeed been messed up, i.e. all the images now appear first, all the empty sections then follow. So we just need to figure out what influenced that change when adding new images. I have a feeling that either LrClassic or Lightroom desktop may be involved, do you use either of those in your workflow? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same feeling. Previously,  I've been using the web gallery and there was no problem to me, the pictures were added at the end. But the last two times I tried, I had this problem, so I felt like there was a regression or a new bug...

I'm using Lightroom Classic for editing and syncing; LrWeb is only for sharing customized galleries (from a sync collection).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's frustrating, I've managed to break it a couple of times today but can't find the recipe that can trigger it every time. There's a much better chance of getting the problem fixed if it can be reliably reproduced. I'll keep playing with it, but I'll also try to get this issue over to Adobe to see if they'll look at it. They usually do, but without the specific recipe a fix would be less certain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK thanks Jim.

On my side, I will be away from networks (and my computer) for a week or so. So won't be able to complete more tests soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When you get back online, there's a possible workaround that you might want to try.

I did quite a lot of testing earlier this week trying to get to a point where I could relaible reproduce the problem. I have managed to do that, though of course it doesn't mean that there aren't other scenarios that might still trigger the issue.

What I found was that setting up a custom order for an album and including text dividers, no matter where in the ecosystem it is done, should work without any problem across all the apps, including Classic.

All the problems only occur when adding more images to the album, but that's subject to some provisos. For instance, if Classic is never used at all, there shouldn't be any issue.....adding images either in LrWeb or LrDesktop should see the new additions appearing at the end of the last section, from where they can be manually moved into the desired location.

However, when Classic is also used is also when the issue appears to surface. So far in my testing, once the album has been synced to Classic, adding additional images in either LrW or LrD will see the images added to the front of the album, which completely messes with the text dividers/sections. Ironically, adding images in Classic actually works correctly, i.e. there are added to the end of the order and stay there.

So the workaround for now, until the problem is fixed, would appear to be to add any further images, to an album which contains text segments, using Classic only. Don't add them in LrW or LrD.

If you get chance to test that, I'd be interesting in knowing if that works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines