Highlighted

Local Backup for Cloudy Lightroom

New Here ,
Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm totally new to lightroom but have done a little research on the question of backups.  No doubt this has been asked a trillion times but not in my particular way so here goes...

I own a Mac at home and had hoped to switch everything over to the cloud version of lightroom because it is so much more user friendly and I'd like to be able to use my iPad and phone to edit photos when travelling.  I know I can sync with Lightroom from Classic but it is still quite a clunky process.  I'd like my local backup to be on Time Machine so that if I am missing a particular file or folder I can check back in time to locate it.  This has definitely saved my bacon at least once.  Am I stuck with using Classic because of the backup situation?  I really do not want to leave everything in Adobe's hands.  Does anyone have a backup workflow that works with Cloudy Lightroom alone?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Theresa_J | Adobe Community Professional

This is just a copy of what is in the cloud. If you delete a photo in Lightroom it will be deleted from the local copy. BUT yes it works with Time Machine, so if you have a TM backup before you deleted the photo, you would still have a copy in TM. This isn't a good workflow though because it would require you to keep track of the dates that you delete images. A better workflow is to make your own backup of photos before you upload add(import) them into Lightroom.

Topics

Feature request, How to, Import and share, Mac, Sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Local Backup for Cloudy Lightroom

New Here ,
Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm totally new to lightroom but have done a little research on the question of backups.  No doubt this has been asked a trillion times but not in my particular way so here goes...

I own a Mac at home and had hoped to switch everything over to the cloud version of lightroom because it is so much more user friendly and I'd like to be able to use my iPad and phone to edit photos when travelling.  I know I can sync with Lightroom from Classic but it is still quite a clunky process.  I'd like my local backup to be on Time Machine so that if I am missing a particular file or folder I can check back in time to locate it.  This has definitely saved my bacon at least once.  Am I stuck with using Classic because of the backup situation?  I really do not want to leave everything in Adobe's hands.  Does anyone have a backup workflow that works with Cloudy Lightroom alone?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Theresa_J | Adobe Community Professional

This is just a copy of what is in the cloud. If you delete a photo in Lightroom it will be deleted from the local copy. BUT yes it works with Time Machine, so if you have a TM backup before you deleted the photo, you would still have a copy in TM. This isn't a good workflow though because it would require you to keep track of the dates that you delete images. A better workflow is to make your own backup of photos before you upload add(import) them into Lightroom.

Topics

Feature request, How to, Import and share, Mac, Sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 10, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can save a local copy with Lightroom cloudy.

-- Johan W. Elzenga, http://www.johanfoto.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 10, 2019 0
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yes.  But is it a backup or just a copy of what is in the cloud.  Will it work with time machine?  So many questions...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 10, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 10, 2019 0