Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Local storage Lightroom CC

New Here ,
Oct 08, 2019 Oct 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Community.

I was wondering if someone could help me with lightroom CC (Cloud).

I imported 7000 raw photos from my Mac hard drive to lightroom CC. Once it had synced them to the cloud (A fair while later)

I deleted them from my hard drive completly (I have backed up externally on portable HDD). My mac is old and has minimal hard drive space. I have not elected to store smart previews or originals via the settings menu in lightroom. 

My internet did not work for a few hours but i was able to view and edit images.

How is thes possable as My originals are only in the cloud and the library file is only 800mb.

Thanks very much Matt.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Originals and edit settings are stored in the cloud. Proxies are pushed to computers and devices as required. This optimises disk space and why you can delete originals from the library file without waiting for automatic deletion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say that you "deleted them from the hard drive completely", what exactly did you delete? When you import existing images from a hard drive, Lightroom makes a local copy of all those images and it is this local copy that is uploaded to the cloud. Depending upon other settings, that local copy will become eligible for automatic deletion (once the upload is complete), but the timing of that deletion will depend on various factors. So it is certainly possible (even likely) that some or all of that local copy is still inside the Lightroom local library, which explains why you can currently edit those images even when your system is offline. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim. Sorry I hit enter by mistake. I deleted all photos from my pitchures folder after import to lightroom. So the only place they exist is in the cloud and what ever is in my lightroom file. What you say makes me understand a lot more how lightroom works, Thankyou. Do you know if I store smart previews locally does lightroom refrence them for editing off line or is it simply storing a copy of the smart previews. Thanks very much Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, if you're offline and you have stored the smart previews locally, Lightroom will use those SPs for editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines