• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lost with Lightroom and Lightroom Classic

Participant ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to using Lightroom, in any variation, so looking for some advice.

I store all my phones in Google Photos.  Having discovered that there is no way to link Adobe with Google Photos I downloaded them all into a folder on my Mac.

I then imported tham all to Lightroom, in the expectation that whatever device I use, Mac, iPad, Samsung Ultra S20+, Samsung Tab5e etc etc all photos would be accesible.

Last night, via my iPad I loaded around 20 photos into Lightroom.  Today on my Mac, only 15 of them have synced over.  And this isn't the last 5 that are missing , they are spread out , so the 1st photo I added, 5th, 9th etc etc.

So my questions are...I am doing something wrong, am I using the wrong version of Lightroom.  Should I use Bridge instead?  Is there a better and more seamless way of accessing all photos over all devices?

many thanks in advance,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot tell you why the five images are not synchronized yet. But trying to use Bridge isn't going to help because that program isn't part of the cloud ecosystem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would help to know which version of Lightroom you are using on your Mac: Lightroom Classic, which keeps all imported images locally on your hard drive(s), or Lightroom, which uploads all images to the Adobe cloud (though you can also keep local copies as well, but the master is in the cloud). 

If you imported into Classic, nothing will automatically sync to the cloud until you first enable syncing in the catalog, and then tell Classic to sync the images (Classic uses a selective upload sync process, the user has to control what to sync). There are various ways to do that, though probably the easiest is to put images into a set of collections and then enable syncing for each collection (which then syncs all the images in that collection). Note, however, that Classic does not sync a copy of the original files, only a Smart Preview is generated and uploaded (2560px on the long edge).

Lightroom, OTOH, automatically syncs a copy of all imported full-resoltion original files to the cloud.

Once uploaded to the cloud, they will all be automatically available on any of your iDevices when you run the Lightroom mobile app and sign in using the same ID as used on the desktop.

Regarding the iPad, what is the sync status on that device (tap on the cloud icon top right to see what is reported, i.e. all synced and backed up, or syncing pending/paused)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.  Thanks for your reply.  I'm using version 4, all updates installed.  Sames goes for my Mac, 10.15.7, all updates.  

To date, all of my photos still haven't synced.  Both mac, ipad, lightroom on both devices have all be used since, all had power.  Lightroom on ipad says Synced and Backed Up.  I see no option to manaully resync.

When I look at one of the photots on the ipad, there is a cloud symbol top right, with a green tick in it.  When I select this, it says Local and Cloud, Original - jpg.  So to the eye looks like it should be on the cloud.

There are no filters on, on the Mac.

Signed into both with the same ID.

Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forget the iPad for the moment, just concentrate on the Mac. When you start Lightroom, click on the cloud icon to see what progrtess is being made on the sync upload of all the photos (how many?) that you imported. If the sync upload is still ongoing you should see a spinning blue circle on the cloud icon. If Lightroom is reporting "Synced and Backed Up", what makes you think that all your photos still haven't synced?

Using a browser on the Mac, login at lightroom.adobe.com using the same Adobe ID (which is a direct portal into your cloud storage) to what's the total for All Photos, compared with the Mac and the iPad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, complete rookie error. 

Within Lightroom, at the bottom (which to be fair I hadn't noticed before) there is an option to show the order in which photos show.  This was set to capture date, and when changed to import date the missing photos appear.  So they were there, somewhere, yet, for some reason, weren't showing the same as the other photos (this is maybe due to how i downloaded them from the web. Some were saved, and some were downloaded, I guess there is a distinction to that!)

So, my fault, they are all there.

Just in case anyone else has this same issue, check this at the bottom of the Lightroom window. 3 lines with a down arrow determines the view.

Screenshot 2020-11-06 at 15.32.32.png

Thank you for your time here though.  Appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines