• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR CC using too much local storage. Can I delete C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Adobe\Lightroom CC\Data

Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

My local drive is running out of stoarge since LR CC stores the originals (.NEF) in the following folder:

C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Adobe\Lightroom CC\Data

Once the files are in the cloud, how to remove/delete the originals from the local location (C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Adobe\Lightroom CC\Data) without deleting those originals from the cloud?:

Thank you in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not delete App Data. That syncs with the cloud. 

Go to the preferences and turn off the store local copy option, and set the cache percentage very low.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Theresa,

I understand your idea, yet following a check on my laptop directory size, I do see the following data directory below contains the original photo files (.NEF in my case from Nikon) and I have unchecked the box to prevent local stoarge.

My HDD total is 450GB, of which i have 10GB free and this Adobe LR data "originals" directory is using >300GB of my total HDD space. See data path below.

C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Adobe\Lightroom CC\Data\be92899e831947fdba92bd86f40f85ed\originals

If I manually delete the files under the "originals" directory where the photo's are stored according to year, will I lose any cloud data?

Thank you for your support,

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not completely sure. You could test it by removing one image from the original folder and checking to see if it deletes from the cloud. It's my understanding that original images are stored locally until the upload sync is complete. Then they are automatically removed based on the cache percentage setting. Have you checked to confirm the sync is complete and all images are completely uploaded?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thank you.
Cache option is set to 5% and is also unchecked.

I see photo's in the "original" folder last updated September 2020...I.e.
not edited since then. So it seems that the photo's are not removed
automatically.

My drive is now completely full after editing more photos, and I have no
space left. Please help find a confirmation for this folder after
discussing with your colleagues.

Maybe LR CC has a "bug" in not removing unedited files after a certain time
has passed.

Thank you,

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alternatively, be aware that it is possible to designate a different folder on a different drive for any originals that are needed to be stored locally by Lightroom. Also be aware that even if the Preferences option to "Store a copy of all originals locally" is not selected, Lightroom will still store some originals locally, even if only on a temporary basis. Any images that you import into the Lightroom  desktop app, from whatever source, are always first copied into that local folder, and it's from that internal location that they are then uploaded to the cloud. Once uploaded they become eligible for local deletion, but that's subject to some complex rules which can mean those local copies hang around for longer than the user might desire.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Thank you for your suggestion. I do uncheck the box to "prevent storage of
all originals at the specified location", yet my local drive fills up each
time i store on the cloud...maybe as a temporary/backup, yet does it.
See screen capture of settings below.
There must be some local storage which can be removed based on my selection?

[image: image.png]

Thank you,

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines