Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR CC: working offline and 1 external drive for 2 computers

New Here ,
Feb 10, 2019 Feb 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Soon my wife and I will departure on a 1 year trip and I am trying to make sure we are with the best backup solutions and also the simplest workflow posible.

1) Internet connection wont be always available... so just to be sure: Choosing to store a copy of the original files locally  on an external drive will be enough to edit some photos offline? Or do I also need to select that "Store Albuns Locally" option?

2) My wife and I share the responsibilities of editing the photos. She has a Windows laptop and I a Macbook pro. Will the LR CC apps in both computers be able to use the same files on the same external drive (different times of course)?

Thanks!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2019 Feb 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) yes storing photos locally will allow you to edit some photos offline, but I am pretty sure it requires they complete the sync first. You might want to test this before you leave. Turn off your wifi. Turn on the store locally option in the preferences, then import some images. Can you edit them while the sync is still pending?

Storing an album locally is only needed if you want to selectively store images locally. If you turn the preference on to store everything locally, you don't have to do the same for albums.

2) technically this will work. You can instal Lr on both computers and set up the local drive on each to the same external drive, BUT this is only going to work when everything has synced. Without good wifi it won't work.

The local storage option doesn't work like Lr Classic. With Lr CC a separate library is created of your images to match what is synced in the cloud. When you delete an image from the cloud, it also gets deleted from the local copy. LrCC does not point back to the original folder of images that you import from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2019 Feb 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much Theresa!

We will get the windows laptop in a couple of weeks and I will be able to test it and come back to you.

thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines