Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR Classic and CC

New Here ,
Jul 16, 2019 Jul 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry for the rookie question, but do I need LR Classic CC and Lightroom CC or does one replace the other? And if so, does my library automatically migrate if I delete one? Right now Classic is much larger than the other. Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are actually using names that are obsolete now. Lightroom is now the name for the cloud-based Lightroom, Lightroom Classic is now the name for the desktop-based traditional Lightroom that has been familiar to many users for about a decade. Do you need both? No. Can you use both? Yes. Should you use both? That is your decision. Lightroom (the cloud-based Lightroom) is designed for those who want their images available on all their devices, images stored in the cloud, able to edit on all devices, etc. Sounds like utopia, right? Perhaps it is for many. The feature set isn't quite as mature as in Lightroom Classic. Synchronization "can" be confusing and frustrating. It's up to you which one or both versions to use. I personally prefer Lightroom Classic, I experiment a little with Lightroom but haven't committed my entire library to it and don't intend to.

I'm sure others will give you a completely different perspective. But before you commit yourself to one program or the other I would suggest that you make sure you understand your choices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to Jim’s brilliant summary, if you delete one, photos will not automatically migrate to the other.

If you have sync enabled between the two, then any full res originals in the Cloud (for some, this maybe just photos shot on their phones etc) will sync to the designated folder in Classic.

As you probably know, Classic can only sync to the Cloud via synced Collections, and then these are lower res Smart Previews (good enough for most to edit in Lightroom Cloud/Mobile).

As Jim says, syncing can have its pitfalls though and even Adobe don’t recommend that both are used together, although some do.

I’m just a hobbyist with a small library (130gb) who shares photos with family and friends so the Cloud is great for me. It depends what your requirements are... not forgetting the cost the Cloud Storage if you have a large library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2019 Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don’t need both. Using both can make things really confusing. If you are a rookie I don’t recommend it. Before you decide which one to keep, you should learn more about their differences. You can start with this article by Adobe Lightroom vs. Lightroom Classic | Adobe

If you delete Lightroom from you computer, it won’t delete the photos that have been added using that application. They are all in the cloud and will remain in the cloud unless you delete them there. If you delete Classic from your computer it won’t delete photos either. Any photo that you see in Classic is somewhere on a local hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2019 Jul 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My lightroom cc is no longer in my deck and I am unable to find it.  I haven't done anything in several months and am wondering if there has been a change I need to download.  I am not very computer savvy and need help please.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding to the above post, I have subscription to cc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Search your computer for the Creative Cloud desktop app. Use the Creative Cloud app to instal and keep Lightroom updated on your computer. You probably still have Lightroom on your computer and if you do the Creative Cloud app will allow you to open it from there. The Creative Cloud app is also where you should sign into your subscription. If you don’t find the Creative Cloud app on your computer you can instal it from here Download Adobe Creative Cloud apps | Free Adobe Creative Cloud trial

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines