• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR won't start when not connected to home network--AgKernel.dll error

Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the LR splash screen loads, LR stalls (stuck blue quarter-circle) when my laptop is not connected to my home network. I have my Local Storage preferences to store Smart Previews on the laptop's HD. So, the catalog info and images should be available for LR to access and properly start.  This issue has been present since early Sept with the LR v3.4 release.  It persists with the LR v4.0 release.  I've engaged in 7 chats and calls with Adobe's Technical Support people and none have been able to fix the problem.  With the onset of this issue, I've have found a consistent error message in Windows Event Viewer.  I won't yet go into all of the strategies I've tried to fix the problem--for now, I'm hoping that someone can speak to why this issue persists with this consistent error message:

Faulting application name: lightroomhelper.exe, version: 4.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5f7def05
Faulting module name: AgKernel.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5f7dee23
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000000401c
Faulting process id: 0x1d10
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6b39aeb2e2d83
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom CC\lightroomhelper.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom CC\AgKernel.dll
Report Id: 2a404970-98af-4384-88c7-3fcd5e302224
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here’s a little more information about how I had been using LR (as Adobe in Nov 2020 seems to refer to the non-“Classic” version).

I spend a portion of each week at my home.  My laptop is connected to my home network—usually via an Ethernet cable, sometimes connected via WiFi.  LR’s Local Storage preferences are set to store Smart Previews on the laptop.  LR automatically stores the originals in the Adobe Cloud (because … it’s LR which was previously known as LR CC).  I also have the preferences set to store originals on my Synology NAS (connected to the network via an Ethernet cable).  Then, Synology’s CloudSync syncs my images to a OneDrive account (not the account I am logged into when I am trying to use LR).  To summarize: Smart Previews are stored on my laptop’s HD; originals are stored in Abode Cloud; Adobe Cloud backs up and syncs photos to Synology NAS; Synology NAS backs up and syncs with OneDrive account.  Any additions or deletions originate in LR.

I spend a portion of each week at another location.  I primarily use (more recently, try to use) LR at this location.  Until September, I could open LR and access my photos because the Smart Previews were stored on my laptop’s HD.  I could also add new photos to LR, whether I was connected to the non-home network or not connected to any network.  Regardless, LR would store the originals in an AppData file.  When the laptop was connected to any non-home network, the originals would also be stored in the Adobe Cloud.

Returning home, connecting the laptop to the home network, and opening LR—LR’s would automatically move the stored originals from the AppData file on my laptop’s HD to the Synology NAS.

Since migrating from LR Classic to LR (CC) two years ago, I had used LR in this fashion without difficulty.  If I were without an internet connection (such as when on an airplane), I could use LR with full functionality because of the local storage of Smart Previews.  I could add photos to LR without issue (provided my local HD had available space).

Since September, LR opens only when I am connected to my home network.  When not connected to the home network, Thee LR splash page opens then closes. In place of the splash page, a quarter of a frozen blue circle appears.  After 15 minutes or so, Windows Event Viewer generates the error message included in my OP. Hours later, LR shows no change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines