Highlighted

Manage catalog from Ipad

New Here ,
Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I have a question about computer - Ipad interaction.

I have a single catalog with all my photos, divided in folders by year.

I need to organize them better, and delete all the unwanted photos.

When I bought my Ipad Pro, I thought that I could sync my catalog, and then use the Ipad to do this task, having it always with me, maybe in a dead moment in the day.

But since I can only Sync collections and work with them, If I delete a picture in it, the photo will be kept in the catalog.

Am I right?

Or is there another way?

Thank you!

To be clear, original files only get sync’d to the cloud from the Lightroom eco system. When sync is started from a LR Classic collection, only a smart preview is sent into the cloud.

References to Lightroom cloudy do not include LR Classic but refer to the Lightroom eco system comprising:

Lightroom for Windows & Mac

Lightroom Mobile (iOS, Android & Chromebook)

Lightroom web app (showing the true cloud storage in a browser)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Manage catalog from Ipad

New Here ,
Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I have a question about computer - Ipad interaction.

I have a single catalog with all my photos, divided in folders by year.

I need to organize them better, and delete all the unwanted photos.

When I bought my Ipad Pro, I thought that I could sync my catalog, and then use the Ipad to do this task, having it always with me, maybe in a dead moment in the day.

But since I can only Sync collections and work with them, If I delete a picture in it, the photo will be kept in the catalog.

Am I right?

Or is there another way?

Thank you!

To be clear, original files only get sync’d to the cloud from the Lightroom eco system. When sync is started from a LR Classic collection, only a smart preview is sent into the cloud.

References to Lightroom cloudy do not include LR Classic but refer to the Lightroom eco system comprising:

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sergioc,

Images deleted from Lightroom mobile will delete the synced copy of the same image from the server, so if you're using Lightroom Classic on desktop the original image in Lightroom will not be deleted but the synced copy(including the edits) will be removed.

Thanks,

Akash

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read this article about using a ipad for traveling combined with lightroom mobile.

https://nicolesyblog.com/2019/01/22/lr-cc-travel/

In this workflow i am picking and rejecting images on mobile. And than throwing away rejected images. But you are saying if i happen to have good wifi, and these images sync to the cloud. That if i throw away rejected images before i sync with classic they will throw away. But if i sync with classic first, than trash rejected photos from mobile it will not throw away the images that where synced with classic?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is correct. If Classic never synced the files they will disappear. However if Classic did sync the files, then deleting them in Lightroom Cloudy will only sever the syncing link in Classic and it will retain those images and just stop syncing them.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that is correct. If you are synchronizing photos from a collection in Lightroom Classic or Lightroom 6 only a smart preview is sent to the cloud with optimized proxies sent to phones and tablets. So your original file will always remain in the catalog and desktop folder.

On the ipad you could mark photos for deletion with a special word or phrase e.g in the info panel add For Deletion in the title field. Wait for synch to complete in the desktop version and then bring up the filter menu above the Library thumbnails. Choose text and type your word or phrase to filter all of the images to be deleted. Use Cmd+A to select all and the backspace key to delete. You will get the option to remove from the catalog and optionally to delete from disk also.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for you answer, that is a good idea!

Just to be clear, let's say that in my catalog I have the folder 2019 and from that I create a static collection "2019" synchronized.

If I edit the photos in the collection and add them marks, are those reflected in the same photos in the catalog?

If I delete the collection, the edits are lost?

If yes, can I import those edits directly to the catalog?

I noticed that sometime the folders synchronized show a different number of elements.

E.g., the collection "2019" shows 420 photos, on the Ipad 411. What can I do in this case, is there some action that can verify the "integrity" of a synchronized folder?

I usually try to pause and restart the sync, or exit and restart, but it doesn't work.

Thank you very much for your time.

Sergio

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The edits done on the iPad won’t be lost because they are also stored in the desktop catalog if synch is fully complete when not paused.

You can check for any errors from the Library menu:

Edit >> Preferences >> Lightroom Mobile (tab)

Lightroom >> Preferences >> Lightroom Mobile (tab) on Mac OS

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines