• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Migrate apple photos library to Lightroom CC on Windows 10?

New Here ,
Jul 04, 2020 Jul 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a close to 100GB Apple Photos Library with jpegs and RAW files in Apple Photos on my Macbook Pro (Catalina). I recently got a new Windows 10 Laptop and bought Lightroom (1TB plan). There is a migration guide for Apple Photos to Lightroom but it assumes you are importing the Apple Photos library to Lightroom on a Mac. How can I import my Apple Photos library in Lightroom in Windows 10?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 04, 2020 Jul 04, 2020

Actually you are importing the Apple Photos Library to the Adobe 'Cloud' eco-system.

After migration has synced all photos to Adobe cloud storage, you will be able to 'see' and edit all your photos from Lightroom-Desktop (v3.3) on both- Mac and Windows installs of Lightroom-Desktop, also on iPhone, iPad with Lightroom-ios, also in any web browser at Lightroom-web..

You will NOT need to 'Import...in Windows 10'.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually you are importing the Apple Photos Library to the Adobe 'Cloud' eco-system.

After migration has synced all photos to Adobe cloud storage, you will be able to 'see' and edit all your photos from Lightroom-Desktop (v3.3) on both- Mac and Windows installs of Lightroom-Desktop, also on iPhone, iPad with Lightroom-ios, also in any web browser at Lightroom-web..

You will NOT need to 'Import...in Windows 10'.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Robert says. Install Lr on both Windows & Mac. Do the migration on the Mac and your files will then be available on all computers and devices.

If you wanted to migrate only part of your Photos Library; the only way to do that on a new Windows machine would be to select all files in Apple Photos on the Mac and export to an external hard drive that is compatible with both platforms or export to Dropbox, Google etc. You can export unmodified originals or as jpeg/tif if you want to see the editing already done in the Photos app. You can optionally export metadata e.g. titles & keywords. Then launch Lr on Windows and import the copies. I suggest you try it on one or two folders  to start with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2020 Jul 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! It worked after a day of syncing. LR on Mac for importing the Apple photos library. And then LR on Win 10. Seems to work great now after 17K images were uploaded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines