Highlighted

Migrate From Apple Photos - 1/3 Photos Missing

New Here ,
Jan 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Lightroom CC on Mac... all software fully up to date.

I've been trying for the past month or so to migrate my Apple Photos over to Lightroom.  Most of that was stuck trying to get Apple Photos to download my entire library locally, >500GB worth, with some Apple issues which I've now resolved.

I've now got my Apple Photos Library with originals stored locally, just over 30,000 photos in there. And I can see by looking into the Library file that there are the right number of photos in the "originals" folder on the disk - nothing is missing.

I started a migration a few days ago, which failed with the non-specific "migration was not successful" error in Lightroom.  Following advice on the Adobe website, I deleted all of the just-imported photos and folders / albums, and emptied the deleted items folder.  Trying to re-import again now, the migratory runs but on the "Catalog Ready for Migration" screen it says it will import ~20,000 photos - well Short of the total number. And they're definitely not duplicates and definitely aren't already in my Lightroom Library, which is fully synced and up-to-date with Creative Cloud.

I don't think this is important, but just in case... after the failed migration I manually moved some of the biggest albums across - about 15,000 photos. Those are all successfully in Lightroom, and I've deleted them from Apple Photos, inc emptying the trash folder. These are not part of the 30,000 in Apple Photos / 20,000 that Lightroom offers to migrate that I described above.

Basically... help! I've spent over a month now just trying to move over to Lightroom, it really shouldn't be this difficult! What else can I do? I wonder if the initial failed migration has messed with something - can I reset something? Anything else to try? The migration does now complete successfully, with the 20,000 photos Lightroom offered to migrate, but leaves 10,000 photos behind and is not clear which photos or why!

(Edit to add: when I look through to see what's missing from the migration, there's no obvious pattern to it. There's photos missing from most albums, randomly across the entire library - not related to a particular file type, or anything like that - from s sequence of e.g. 3 photos taken at the same time in the same camera, 2 of the 3 might have imported. Obviously other times they all might, other times none have, from one of my holidays only 446 out of 1666 photos were migrated - but no errors occur!)

Thanks!

TOPICS
Bug, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Migrate From Apple Photos - 1/3 Photos Missing

New Here ,
Jan 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Lightroom CC on Mac... all software fully up to date.

I've been trying for the past month or so to migrate my Apple Photos over to Lightroom.  Most of that was stuck trying to get Apple Photos to download my entire library locally, >500GB worth, with some Apple issues which I've now resolved.

I've now got my Apple Photos Library with originals stored locally, just over 30,000 photos in there. And I can see by looking into the Library file that there are the right number of photos in the "originals" folder on the disk - nothing is missing.

I started a migration a few days ago, which failed with the non-specific "migration was not successful" error in Lightroom.  Following advice on the Adobe website, I deleted all of the just-imported photos and folders / albums, and emptied the deleted items folder.  Trying to re-import again now, the migratory runs but on the "Catalog Ready for Migration" screen it says it will import ~20,000 photos - well Short of the total number. And they're definitely not duplicates and definitely aren't already in my Lightroom Library, which is fully synced and up-to-date with Creative Cloud.

I don't think this is important, but just in case... after the failed migration I manually moved some of the biggest albums across - about 15,000 photos. Those are all successfully in Lightroom, and I've deleted them from Apple Photos, inc emptying the trash folder. These are not part of the 30,000 in Apple Photos / 20,000 that Lightroom offers to migrate that I described above.

Basically... help! I've spent over a month now just trying to move over to Lightroom, it really shouldn't be this difficult! What else can I do? I wonder if the initial failed migration has messed with something - can I reset something? Anything else to try? The migration does now complete successfully, with the 20,000 photos Lightroom offered to migrate, but leaves 10,000 photos behind and is not clear which photos or why!

(Edit to add: when I look through to see what's missing from the migration, there's no obvious pattern to it. There's photos missing from most albums, randomly across the entire library - not related to a particular file type, or anything like that - from s sequence of e.g. 3 photos taken at the same time in the same camera, 2 of the 3 might have imported. Obviously other times they all might, other times none have, from one of my holidays only 446 out of 1666 photos were migrated - but no errors occur!)

Thanks!

TOPICS
Bug, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 19, 2020 0

Have something to add?