• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Migrating Collections Sets from LR Classic to Folders in LRCC

Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am migrating from LR Classic to LRCC.  I have all of my photos organized in Collections within Collection Sets, which are sometimes nested within a Collection Set.  After migrating to LRCC, will the Collection Sets become Folders in LRCC and the Collections become Albums within LRCC?  Will the nested Collection Sets also become Folders within Folders in LRCC, essentially preserving the organizational structure I have in LR Classic?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it does work that way when you migrate, i.e. collection sets become folders and collections become albums. Note, however, that I believe there's a limit of 4 or 5 hierarchy levels that are supported. I'm not sure what happens if your current Collection Set hierarchy in Classic has more than that number of levels, I'll try testing that scenario over the next few days if nobody else here can respond with a definitive answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  I tried migrating a sample catalogue with collection sets and collections and the structure was preserved in LRCC as you indicated - collection sets become folders and collections become albums.  What I was hoping I could now do is to modify photos in LRCC (flagging, starring, editing, etc.) and have those modifications sync back to LR Classic, but that does not seem to be working.  Is there a way to get that to work so that all photos have been migrated to LRCC, but they can be modified on either platform and have them synced on both platforms?  Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have you ensured that you re-enabled sync again in the Classic catalog after you migrated it to Lightroom? I believe sync is intentionally disabled in the Classic catalog after migrartion, as migration is designed as a one-way process, i.e. it's for those users who want to do a complete transfer from Classic to Lightroom. It's not intended that you re-enable syncing in the Classic catalog, though there is nothing preventing you from doing that. It's just not advisable, and quite possible that some unexpected issues may result. Certainly when I tested migration several years ago, I did indeed encounter some oddities in Classic after re-enabling sync, so I certainly wouldn't recommend it.

Ideally, if you want your images in the cloud but still want to continue using Classic, the safest approach is to sync your images from Classic to the cloud (which only uploads Smart Previews, though these are generally OK for viewing and editing on other devices (e.g. phones and tablets). Better still, the smart previews don't count against your cloud storage space allowance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines