Highlighted

Migration to LR CC

Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking to migrate from LR Classic to LR CC to improve my workflow with pictures taken on my mobile.  All of my photos (bar some that are on my iPhone) are stored on a NAS and sit in an LR classic catalogue.  Ideally I'd like to migrate the catalogue from classic to CC but without uploading the 1.5GB of media I have sitting on my NAS, I'd like to see my total pictures in LR CC but not have the source copies of everything in the cloud and pay for the storage.  Then I'd like any photo's I take on my iOS devices to sync to LR CC, I'm fine if they upload into the Adobe cloud as the likely storage space required will be much less.  

Is this a possible scenario to migrate to LR CC but without uploading all of my archive materials into the adobe cloud?  And if so, can I still see thumbnails of those pictures and pull them into LR from my NAS as required?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Migration to LR CC

Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking to migrate from LR Classic to LR CC to improve my workflow with pictures taken on my mobile.  All of my photos (bar some that are on my iPhone) are stored on a NAS and sit in an LR classic catalogue.  Ideally I'd like to migrate the catalogue from classic to CC but without uploading the 1.5GB of media I have sitting on my NAS, I'd like to see my total pictures in LR CC but not have the source copies of everything in the cloud and pay for the storage.  Then I'd like any photo's I take on my iOS devices to sync to LR CC, I'm fine if they upload into the Adobe cloud as the likely storage space required will be much less.  

Is this a possible scenario to migrate to LR CC but without uploading all of my archive materials into the adobe cloud?  And if so, can I still see thumbnails of those pictures and pull them into LR from my NAS as required?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 03, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom CC is now simply called Lightroom. There is no "CC" designation anymore. Adobe keeps changing the names. It isn't necessary to migrate your catalog in order to synchronize your mobile images with Lightroom. You can keep Lightroom and Lightroom Classic separate. That's what I do. I have Lightroom installed on my iPhone, and when I take a picture with my phone the image is in Lightroom on the phone, it transfers automatically to Lightroom (the cloud version), and it automatically imports into Lightroom Classic. That's the way I like to use it. I don't want all my images in the cloud. If I decide I have images in Lightroom Classic that I want in the cloud I can create collections and share Smart previews. Don't know if that answers your question. Just telling you how I use the two programs. Trying to make the two programs work together is NOT recommend.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 03, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, didn't know that was possible.  So I basically create a sync in LR Classic to the cloud and then sync my mobile pictures to it?  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 03, 2020 0
Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just have Lightroom Classic synchronized, and whenever I take a picture with my iPhone and return to my computer the picture is available in Lightroom Classic as well as Lightroom. I'm not a real fan or expert of Lightroom for the cloud. I do very little editing with it. It's installed on my computer but used very little. If you want "real" advice on how to use it then you should probably get it from someone else. I'm just telling you how I use it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 03, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  I think my ideal scenario would be to shift to using LR as my main workflow tool, keep my archive photos local and but have the capability to use classic for edits as I need to (it's what I'm used to).   

So can I migrate my archive catalogue including archive photos to LR without uploading 1.5TB of media into from my NAS?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 03, 2020 0
Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"So can I migrate my archive catalogue including archive photos to LR without uploading 1.5TB of media into from my NAS?"

No. "Migration" is designed as a one-way process, i.e. ALL the images in the Classic catalog being migrated will be uploaded to the cloud, and in theory you would stop using that Classic catalog once the migration is completed.

You can simply enable syncing in the Classic catalog, after which you can designate as many or as few of the Classic catalog images to be synced (but only Smart Previews are uploaded, not the full resolution original). However, any images that are already in the cloud or subsequently added from any of the "cloudy" apps, e.g. from your phone, will automatically download into the Classic catalog as full-res copies to be stored in the designated Classic library location.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 03, 2020 0
Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't want that 1.5 TB in the cloud, then you DON'T want to migrate your catalog. When you want full-sized images in the cloud, import them to Lightroom. Lightroom will automatically add them to your Lightroom Classic catalog, so you will have the images in both places. The images that are only in Lightroom Classic will be added to the cloud as smart previews when  you choose to add them. That's the way the system is designed. If you migrate the catalog, it's pretty much a total commitment. And you can only migrate a single catalog. So if you go that way, make sure it's what you want to do.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 03, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it, thank you for that.  I've been coming at this from the wrong angle.  Off to research syncing with classic.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 04, 2020 0
Jao vdL LATEST
Jan 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim gavce you good advice. Just want to add to go to this adobe feedback thread and add your voice to the request that Classic should be able to sync full raw files to the cloud and not just smart previews. https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom-classic-should-be-able-to-sync-full...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 04, 2020 1