Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving all files to another drive

Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I would like to know if I can make Lightroom 4.2 (Mac) work entirely from an external drive. I men I would like to install the app in th local drive but tell Lightroom tu use another drive for cache, the library (Lightroom Library.lrlibrary) catalog, etc. I need to save space.

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

No, you can't. The library needs to be on the local drive. You can only use an external drive for storage of copies of the originals (if you want to store a copy locally).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

Correct. All the program data including cache and previews are stored on the local drive. It would be a good feature request to have a preference to point Lightroom to a different location, but I suspect there might be some hesitation to add that, because what would happen if you started up Lightroom without that drive connected? Unlike Lightroom Classic, the newer Lightroom 4.x isn't designed to support different libraries, so it's not likely to behave gracefully if all it's data is on a drive

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you can't. The library needs to be on the local drive. You can only use an external drive for storage of copies of the originals (if you want to store a copy locally).

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So when you scan a directory and it makes the previews, that info (space) is taken from the local drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Correct. All the program data including cache and previews are stored on the local drive. It would be a good feature request to have a preference to point Lightroom to a different location, but I suspect there might be some hesitation to add that, because what would happen if you started up Lightroom without that drive connected? Unlike Lightroom Classic, the newer Lightroom 4.x isn't designed to support different libraries, so it's not likely to behave gracefully if all it's data is on a drive that's not present. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines