Highlighted

Moving from L6 to Classic

Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello: I thought it would be easy to move from L6 to Classic but it is totally confusing. I've been looking at Luminar (their costs are cunningly almost as high as Adobe's), but I decided that sticking with Lightroom would not necessitate lots of learning. How wrong can I be?

1. How do you stop using the Cloud? It filled up quickly then demanded more money. I don't want my images on the Cloud so how to get rid of it? Or, If I'm stuck with it, how to I control what goes on it? I've no idea what is 'up there.'

2. I have 1Tb of images all nicely arranged on a drive by subject then date. E.g. Macro organized by trip then date, Birds by trip then by date, Research trips by location, etc. But Classic has only imported some images and rearranged them by year. Totally useless. Plus it labelled one folder 2080 which suggests some sort of time travel. Shades of Dr Who.

3. My L6 has been turned into Lightroom CC. The install never asked, just did it. At least it didn't mess with my image folder!

So, how do I get out of this mess and import to Classic while maintaining MY arrangement of images. I clearly missed something. Are there tutorials in non Adobe speak. You know, stuff that someone with a single digit IQ can understand.

Thanks

Donald

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Moving from L6 to Classic

Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello: I thought it would be easy to move from L6 to Classic but it is totally confusing. I've been looking at Luminar (their costs are cunningly almost as high as Adobe's), but I decided that sticking with Lightroom would not necessitate lots of learning. How wrong can I be?

1. How do you stop using the Cloud? It filled up quickly then demanded more money. I don't want my images on the Cloud so how to get rid of it? Or, If I'm stuck with it, how to I control what goes on it? I've no idea what is 'up there.'

2. I have 1Tb of images all nicely arranged on a drive by subject then date. E.g. Macro organized by trip then date, Birds by trip then by date, Research trips by location, etc. But Classic has only imported some images and rearranged them by year. Totally useless. Plus it labelled one folder 2080 which suggests some sort of time travel. Shades of Dr Who.

3. My L6 has been turned into Lightroom CC. The install never asked, just did it. At least it didn't mess with my image folder!

So, how do I get out of this mess and import to Classic while maintaining MY arrangement of images. I clearly missed something. Are there tutorials in non Adobe speak. You know, stuff that someone with a single digit IQ can understand.

Thanks

Donald

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 15, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you may have installed the cloud version of Lightroom by mistake rather than Lightroom Classic. Go to the menu:

Help >> System info

Tell us the version number.

If you have v2.4.1 then you need to switch subscription to The Photography Plan in order to get Lightroom Classic.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 15, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I bought the $9.99/month plan which is Classic. Also ther is no sign of Photoshop?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 15, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops, accidentally hit Return. That should be "there" in previous. What do I do now? Throw myself in front of Adobe and beg for mercy? Also, I want to install Classic on my laptop but the installer has disappeared from my Download folder. This is getting worse by the minute.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 15, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All apps are installed and updated using Creative Cloud desktop. If you haven’t installed that you can download it from this link:

Get Creative Cloud Desktop App

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 15, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replies. I took the easy way ouit and cancelled the subscription. The online chat person thought it would be better if I paid $29/month. So much for finding a solution. I thought it would be easy to move to Classic! Silly me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 15, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic is the program you should have installed. It is the upgrade to Lightroom 6, the one that continues to store images in folders on your computer and uses an updated/upgraded version of your catalog. What is now known as Lightroom is the version that stores all of your images in the cloud. Yes, naming conventions have become confusing. You didn't need to go to a $29/month program to get what you needed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 15, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no need to pay $29 pm. After installing LR Classic and upgrading  your LR6 catalog. Only selected collections sync smart previews which don’t count towards storage.

If you want to delete everything accidentally uploaded to the cloud; log-in using a web browser.

https://lightroom.adobe.com/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 15, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the option that confuses many- when the "Photography Plan" is shown with 1TB of Cloud storage, which Adobe is keen to promote

The Photography Plan for US$9.99 comes with 20GB of CLoud.

ScreenShot102.jpg

This screen-clip from 'Australian' link-

https://www.adobe.com/au/products/photoshop-lightroom-classic.html?promoid=9WGN4565&mv=other

You MUST have Lightroom-CLASSIC to upgrade from Lightroom v6.

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 9.4, Lightroom 3.4, Photoshop 2020 (21.2.1), Nikon DSLR, Windows-10.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 15, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all: Thanks for yout replies. I gave up on Lightroom as all of this web crap just annoyed me. I will try Luminar 4 to see how it stacks up. But by next year I will probably be coming back to try updating my L6. I'm not overly hopeful that L4 will work very well. But you never know. Certainly the appearance of Lightroom CC was very similar to Luminar. Dunno whether this is good or not. Regardless, I didn't want it. I now see what I should have done to get Classic but too late now.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 15, 2019 0