• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving into Lr from Aperture

Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have finally decided to move on from Aperture to Lightroom. As I try to familiarize myself with Classic and CC, I have a few questions which I hope the community can help me with.

- The Aperture Library import module, does it only work with Lr Classic?

- if I choose the Lr plan with only 20GB what happens when that is maxed out? I suppose the same question applies to the 1TB plan.

- with the plan that includes both Classic and CC how are mobile files manages (ie can I push them to Classic or do I have to import them into the desktop app)

thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an Aperture plugin but I am not certain if it works with Lightroom CC. I haven't used it myself. They key is to have all of your images in a folder, or folder structure on a hard drive that Lightroom can access.

If you max out your cloud storage you can purchase additional storage space, or you can download images to a local drive and remove them from the cloud. If you take this approach those images will no longer be a part of your synced Lightroom ecosystem.

Classic is like a vacuum. Images in a Classic catalog MUST reside on a local hard drive. This is actually a nice feature when working with mobile. Any images you shoot with Lightroom Mobile will automatically download to a hard drive connected to Lightroom Classic. This happens after you turn on Lightroom Mobile Sync in the Lightroom catalog. You can set the location of the images in the Lightroom preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2019 Jan 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mich8261  wrote

- The Aperture Library import module, does it only work with Lr Classic?

Yes. If you really want to use LRCC, first convert from Aperture to iPhoto and then import the iPhoto library into LRCC.

See Moving from Aperture to Lightroom for more thoughts on migrating to LrClassic

mich8261  wrote

- if I choose the Lr plan with only 20GB what happens when that is maxed out? I suppose the same question applies to the 1TB plan.

You can't sync any more items until you either remove existing items from sync or pay Adobe for extra storage.

mich8261  wrote

- with the plan that includes both Classic and CC how are mobile files manages (ie can I push them to Classic or do I have to import them into the desktop app)

Photos shot on mobile devices automatically sync down into your LrClassic catalogue and hard drive. If you hit the 20gb limit, then you just unsync those mobile photos which removes the originals from the cloud and frees up space. If you still want them available on mobile devices you can then sync them again from LrClassic, which syncs smart previews, highly compressed files which don't count against the 20gb.

If you are an Aperture user, I would expect that you are likely to find the cloud-dependent LRCC underpowered, while LrClassic is much more comparable to how you have probably been using Aperture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2019 Jan 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

NB Where I wrote "iPhoto", I meant to say Apple Photos. Hope that was obvious (or irrelevant!).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines