Highlighted

Moving Lightroom CC files from cloud to external harddrive

Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I only recently upgraded from my very old photoshop elements to a photo plan with lightroom. Due to little space on my computer (macbook pro), I've got Lightroom CC and photoshop installed. I have now ran into the problem of trying to move my photos (imported into lrcc) to an external harddrive, in order for me to be able to import new photos. As a student, paying more for upgrading the cloud isn't an option, especially when I have a 2tb external drive dedicated to my photos. So, how do I move all these files over to my external? Most of what I can find seems to be about migrating from classic to cc, which is not what I'm doing, as I don't even have classic installed (that might change when I can remove some of the programs I need for my studies, but until then, it'll have to wait).

TOPICS
How to, Import and share, Mac, Sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Moving Lightroom CC files from cloud to external harddrive

Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I only recently upgraded from my very old photoshop elements to a photo plan with lightroom. Due to little space on my computer (macbook pro), I've got Lightroom CC and photoshop installed. I have now ran into the problem of trying to move my photos (imported into lrcc) to an external harddrive, in order for me to be able to import new photos. As a student, paying more for upgrading the cloud isn't an option, especially when I have a 2tb external drive dedicated to my photos. So, how do I move all these files over to my external? Most of what I can find seems to be about migrating from classic to cc, which is not what I'm doing, as I don't even have classic installed (that might change when I can remove some of the programs I need for my studies, but until then, it'll have to wait).

TOPICS
How to, Import and share, Mac, Sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 28, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can either select the photos and use ‘Save To’, which may be a bit of a pain, or use the Lightroom Downloader tool: https://lightroom.adobe.com/lightroom-downloader

You may want to consider using Classic full time if you have cloud limitations. You can they just store locally and sync required Collections (Albums) to the Cloud.

Another option would be to install Classic, set the Cloud Download Folder (in Preferences) to a hard drive with available space and turn Sync on. All file in the Cloud will download to that drive and be available in Classic. On completion, they can be deleted from the Cloud.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 29, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'll look into that, then!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2019 0
Sep 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom CC stores all the orginals in the cloud. You can save a copy locally or export a copy, but you won't be able to work with photos in Lightroom if you remove the online version to make room for new uploads. If you don't want to increase your online storage, then it is probably better to use Lightroom Classic, not Lightroom CC. Lightroom Classic is the version that works with local originals.

-- Johan W. Elzenga, http://www.johanfoto.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I'll most likely migrate over to classic, then. Does classic work as seamless with photoshop as CC does?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2019 0
Sep 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Lightroom Classic works seamlessly with Photoshop.
-- Johan W. Elzenga, http://www.johanfoto.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2019 0