Highlighted

Moving Local Backup drive to new computer

New Here ,
Sep 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using cloud based Lightroom and storing “local copies” on an external drive.  I just got a new Mac and was wondering if I could simply take the old external drive and plug it in to my new Mac and “select” the same folder to back up local copies going forward.  I’ve “stopped storing” local copies on the old Mac.  If so, this would prevent me from “copying over 50K phots again down from the cloud!”  Seems logical but just thought I ‘d reach out to everyone before making some huge error. 

Topics

Download and install, Problem or error, Sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Moving Local Backup drive to new computer

New Here ,
Sep 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using cloud based Lightroom and storing “local copies” on an external drive.  I just got a new Mac and was wondering if I could simply take the old external drive and plug it in to my new Mac and “select” the same folder to back up local copies going forward.  I’ve “stopped storing” local copies on the old Mac.  If so, this would prevent me from “copying over 50K phots again down from the cloud!”  Seems logical but just thought I ‘d reach out to everyone before making some huge error. 

Topics

Download and install, Problem or error, Sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I'd suggest that you choose your backup drive as the external drive from Lightroom preference. Please check this linked article for more information: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/lightroom-classic/help/create-catalogs.html#Customizecatalogsettings

Thanks,

Akash 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines