Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving my whole library from LR to LRC

Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I went all in with LR a year ago and as I reach storage of 800gb, I'm starting to rethink my workflow. 

At the centre of this is using LRC as my core archive, using offline raid setup. To transition to this, I need to get the 43k photos out of LR into LRC.

I've tried to do this via sync - but it would be fair to say this functionalilty is a little haphazard and didnt sync all photos in collections/folders etc. 

I'm loathed to download all 43,000 images with settings etc via Export - Original (from Lightroom), but accept that mightbe the only way. 

So before I start - any other ways to do this?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

There really isn't a perfect solution to this question. Syncing to a new Classic catalog, which I've tested, has a couple of issues: 

The first issue is that Folders (in Lightroom) do not sync to Collections Sets in LrC, but all Albums in Lightroom should sync to Collections in LrC....so only the work of manually creating the Collection Sets in LrC should be required after the download in complete. 

The second issue concerns that fact that not all metadata syncs between Lightroom and LrC. Spec

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There really isn't a perfect solution to this question. Syncing to a new Classic catalog, which I've tested, has a couple of issues: 

The first issue is that Folders (in Lightroom) do not sync to Collections Sets in LrC, but all Albums in Lightroom should sync to Collections in LrC....so only the work of manually creating the Collection Sets in LrC should be required after the download in complete. 

The second issue concerns that fact that not all metadata syncs between Lightroom and LrC. Specifically any keywords that you've added in Lightroom will not transfer to LrC, ditto for any Location data that may have been added in Lightroom (though at least any existing GPS coordinates DO sync, so the reverse address lookup feature in Classic would still be available to re-populate the location data fields). Face-tags also do not sync, so if you use facial recognition you'd need to redo that using LrC's own (different) engine.

Using Export Original + Settings that you mention also has issues, as NO album information is included in the exported files, so you'd have to recreate the entire Collection and Collection Set organisation from scratch. Keywords and Location Data could be included in the exported files, however. So depending on where you've focused your time organisationally in Lightroom (metadata versus albums), you should be able to decide which is the least worst option.

The third method would be to use the Adobe Downloader app, but I have to tell you that I think that has too many issues to make it viable as a migration strategy from Lightroom to LrC.....it's really designed to be used as a lifeboat for those users who are exiting the Adobe camp completely, and just want their image data out of the cloud. It needs work to make it into the better migration tool that you are looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very helpful, thank you

I suspect export is the best option - I use "light" keywording, collections there mostly for broad segmenting of the library, so wouldn't kill me to reconstruct in LRC. 

At least that solves what I'm doing for the rest of the day then!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, but before you start exporting you could consider adding a special keyword in Lightroom to all of the images on a per album basis, so that when you've imported all the files into the Classic catalog you have the album keyword available to make the collections setup a lot easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thats a very smart idea - thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines