Moving to a new Mac

Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to transfer Lightroom cc from one Mac to another without having to redownload all original images? I have over 1TB and really want to avoid this. I am not talking about Lightroom Classic, which i see a lot of instructions for. I am talking about the new Lightroom CC. Thank you!

TOPICS
How to

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clarify, if you are using Lightroom CC you are indicating you have over 1 TB of images stored in the cloud. So are you also indicating that you have that number of images stored locally on your Mac?

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is correct yes.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The images that are in the cloud are in the cloud. All you'll have to do is install Lightroom on the new computer and login with your Adobe ID and password, and everything should be there. But the only way to get those images onto the hard drive of the new Mac is to go through the process of doing it. How would you propose to do it otherwise?

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not proposing any solution, just looking for one. I have an external
drive with 1TB+ of images. I would like my new computer to just see them,
not download them all from the cloud again.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The images that are in the cloud will still be in the cloud. If your local images are on an external hard drive why can't you just move the external hard drive to the new Mac and give it the  same name it had on the old computer? I'm not a Mac person so there must be something I don't understand.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to plug in the new drive in the new machine and set Lightroom Cloudy (It hasn't been called CC in a long time - they dropped the CC and now it is just Lightroom) to store local copies on the external in the same way you have it set up on the old machine. This should work and should be what happens if you set up the new machine by migrating from the old one with the migration assistant as the preferences will get copied over automatically. Precise instructions would depend on how you have set up the old machine, i.e. whether you have it set to store local copies of all images, or if you are just storing the library images there.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines