Highlighted

New Lightroom CC export settings versus previous settings

Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just installed lastest upgrade to Lightroom CC (Ver 3.0) and now the export has multiple options (JPEG Small, JPEG Original, Original (NEF), and Customized option.

The previous version simply exported in JPEG without allowing any choice of settings.

The new JPEG Original generates much bigger files and the JPEG Small much smaller files.  Maybe trivial, but what are the custom settings that will generate the equivalent of the previous version JPEG export?

I just want to save files with the same approximate setting and file size as previously, but can't find an explanation of the previous default settings were not documented.

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

New Lightroom CC export settings versus previous settings

Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just installed lastest upgrade to Lightroom CC (Ver 3.0) and now the export has multiple options (JPEG Small, JPEG Original, Original (NEF), and Customized option.

The previous version simply exported in JPEG without allowing any choice of settings.

The new JPEG Original generates much bigger files and the JPEG Small much smaller files.  Maybe trivial, but what are the custom settings that will generate the equivalent of the previous version JPEG export?

I just want to save files with the same approximate setting and file size as previously, but can't find an explanation of the previous default settings were not documented.

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The export function that is now part of Lightroom is something that users who transitioned from Lightroom Classic have requested for quite some time. They felt the need to have greater control over the export of their images, and Adobe listened and has provided something that is much closer to what is available in Classic. I think you will find that if you experiment a bit you will be able to determine what the best settings will be to provide the size images that best suit your own personal needs. There is no right or wrong answer. It is whatever meets the needs of the individual user.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I welcome the increased capability, fully understand what was requested. Just asking what were the parameters of prior export to JPEG settings when that was the only option presented?

In the past, the choice was just "small or full", but that "full" choice generated a different file size that the new "full" so I'm assuming other JPEG parameters were pre-chosen by Adobe differently so Adobe should be able to tell me what settings most closely approximate that instead of experimenting blindly to get to the same result.

Not looking for pixel-for-pixel equivalent, just a quick suggestion on JPEG settings that would come close to the prior "full" default which is now more like a "medium" setting?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
99jon LATEST
LEGEND ,
Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can’t remember precisely what the default was, but I think it was something like 90% quality and always with ppi of 240. The new export preview window gives you an indication of approximate file size for your chosen settings. See if my YouTube video helps.

The New Export Dialog in Lightroom for Saving & Sharing Photos

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines