Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Lightroom Won't Open Classic Catalogs

New Here ,
Jun 14, 2020 Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey All!

I got a new MacBook Pro and redownloaded both versions of Lightroom (Up until this point - I was only using Lightroom Classic). My catalogs from Classic won't open in the new Lightroom and I can't figure out why! What is the difference between the classic Lightroom and the new version?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2020 Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'Chalk and Cheese'. 'Apples and Bananas'.  The difference is immense! And Lr-Classic Catalogs will not 'open with Lightroom!

And there is a good chart to set out the differences at the base of this link-

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-cc-vs-classic-features/

It is best to decide which one Version you want to 'go with'.

Only you can decide if you want your files on a 'local hard-drive' (with the advantages of Classic), or stored 'in the Cloud' (with the limitations of Lr).

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you choose to go with Lightroom vs Lightroom Classic; you can Migrate the classic catalog along with the content to Lightroom using the Migrate option in Lightroom.  The catalog has to have been opened at least once in Lightroom classic.  Note; this is a one way street.  You cant migrate back to classic; though classic has some features to sync with Lightroom.  Naming is very confusing isnt it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines