Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New user wanting to set up LR on windows based PC

Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have a new PC and I want to set up for best use of mainly LR Classic and some Photoshop work.

I have a standalone SSD for operating System.

Should I use a separate SSD for LR software and catalogue ?

Original Images stored on external 10TB Vault with a second 10TB vault backing up

Is LR better on the  system drive or separate drive?

Does LR run better with a scratch disc?

Current system isi7-7700K CPU 4.2ghz

SSD 960 Evo 500gb

SSD 850 Evo 500gb

WD 4TB internal Data drive

64gb Ram

NVIDIA Geforce GTX950

BENQ SW2700PT Monitor

Also any tips on importing images from various poorly collated catalogues without producing duplicates ? Assume import date time and name will reduce this ?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Using a separate SSD for the LrC catalog(s) is generally recognised as the best arrangement. Personally, I wouldn't bother using a separate drive for the actual software installation. Unless you have very serious space issues on the system drive, I'd just go with the installation on the standard system drive.

LrC doesn't use a scratch disk, it uses the system/user temp folder (which you can, I think, relocate elsewhere). The usual guide is to ensure that there's at least 20% free space on the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Just make sure when you import that you have "Don't Import Suspected Duplicates" checked in the Import Dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using a separate SSD for the LrC catalog(s) is generally recognised as the best arrangement. Personally, I wouldn't bother using a separate drive for the actual software installation. Unless you have very serious space issues on the system drive, I'd just go with the installation on the standard system drive.

LrC doesn't use a scratch disk, it uses the system/user temp folder (which you can, I think, relocate elsewhere). The usual guide is to ensure that there's at least 20% free space on the volume containing the temp folder.

What do you mean by "duplicates"? LrC will happily detect duplicates when they really are "file" duplicates, i.e. same file-name, same file-size, same capture date. It does not detect "image" duplicates, e.g. cropped exports of an image (so different file-size), or renamed exports (so different file-names). If you are dealing with "image" duplicates, if you can deal with them before import then so much the better....but if not there are LrC plug-ins I believe which make a reasonable stab at detecting these.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim 

Will set it up using SSD for catalogue, and leave program on main drive.

Duplicates I meant file duplicates as opposed to similar images. Thats great, was planning on pulling all files into one new LR catalogue

Thanks for help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just make sure when you import that you have "Don't Import Suspected Duplicates" checked in the Import Dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines