Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Newbie needs help

Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2019 Oct 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've just signed up to LR and PS.  I have been using GIMP and Darktable, so most likely will be some cross-thinking, some useful and some not.  Starting with LR, please can someone help me with the following:

i) I've imported a series of RAWs into LR.  When doing this in DT immediately a new file is created that will be the manipulatiuons-information to be enacted on top of the RAW file.  Is the same created in LR?  If so, where is it?  And can I move these to the folder location of the RAWs?

ii) What can LR do with videos?  Further, I use Avid MC for editing and definitely will not be changing here, and yet is there some workflow that can be had between LR video capabilities (whatever these are) and Avid?

iii) I've just realised that I have imported a folder with both RAWs and JPEGs (my camera is set to take both).  How to remove the JPEGs?  Also, how to only import the RAWs?

Thank you,

DC

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2019 Oct 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your question will need multiple chapters of writing to answer.

You would be better to start with the free eBooks from the Lightroom Queen, and also purchase her "Missing FAQ Books" which are great value for the comprehensive content. (I have no affiliation with LQ- only purchased the Books.)

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/free-downloads/

And answers all depend on the Version of Lightroom you are using!

To have Photoshop you must be referring to Lightroom-Classic! (the Photography Plan with 20GB)

A review of your questions-

i) "Is a file created" -NO.  The raw files are stored on your drive. All the Editing is stored in the Catalog (database) (not mentioning .XMP sidecars)

ii) Videos:  Consider Lightroom for photos only. It can index videos but do not consider it a video editor.

iii) Raw+JPG: Import both (for now!)- The Catalog (Digital Asset management) is designed to reference ALL your image files. Why import only the raws or JPGs? There is an option in Preferences to only import the raws, but 'down the track' you will wonder -why you ever bothered shooting JPGs- when you could get better results from the raws!

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2019 Oct 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just been through a half-hour tutorial on importing.  Please correct me if I am wrong.  The gist is: I locate the folder from which I wish to import, then select/deselect as desired, then in the Destination panel, unless instructed otherwise, a subfolder is created within the existing folder (or I may choose eleswhere) and with "Copy" selected all the selected images are, effectively, c&p'd into this new subfolder - and it will be these which LR then works on?  I take it I can now delete the original files if so wished?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2019 Oct 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well first of all we must confirm which "Lightroom" App you are using. The two are totally different!

You are posting in the Lightroom (Cloud based) forum, so which is it? (Menu: Help>System Info...)

Don't 'Import' yet until you have the correct answers!!!

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2019 Oct 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I'm working on Classic.  I aim to keep everything on my PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2019 Oct 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The gist is: I locate the folder from which I wish to import, then select/deselect as desired, then in the Destination panel, unless instructed otherwise, a subfolder is created within the existing folder (or I may choose eleswhere) and with "Copy" selected all the selected images are, effectively, c&p'd into this new subfolder - and it will be these which LR then works on? I take it I can now delete the original files if so wished?

Possibly wrong! depending which "Folder" you are referring to!

When Importing photos that already exist in Folders on your hard-drive, you only need to Import with the method set to "ADD".  The 'ADD' option does not create copies (to delete)- it simply indexes your photos in the Catalog.

OTOH- If importing from a camera card- your only Import option is "COPY" (or Copy as DNG) since Lr has to also place your photos on your hard-drive (to the Destination given) and index them in the Catalog. (Nothing to 'Delete'- only re-format the card in the camera)

And (I recommend) you do not be selective about which photos you Import- Import ALL and use Lightroom to manage your photo library!

Some good training at this link- "Overview & Importing Photos"

http://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/lightroom-training-videos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines