• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

newbie Starting Out!

New Here ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone , new to the forum was wondering if someone can get me some guidence since I tried talking with adobe support chat but seems like they are absolutely clueless, so this is my last resort!

I recently purcahsed adobe monthly plan for Photoshop and Lightroom, I am a hobbyist photographer, up until now I was using a version I had someone install for me and I paid them for the service, turns out it was a non genuine copy of it and I got the error message to purchase the monthly one which i did but I am a bit confused now.

Instead of storing all of my photo files on my external SSD since I have that 1tb memory I can just keep all the files there and it will automatically back up all my photos in original quality? No need to back up to my external SSD since it will be already on their cloud? 

How do I got about importing my current pictures and my current library and settings i had in my previous version? Or can I still use lightroom as I used it until now off of my external SSD with files being there and how well does external SSD play with iPad since I am planning on getting that fairly soon but I dont know which work flow is going to be better since I dont want to keep any of the actual photos on my computer or my ipad when I get it, I want them either on the cloud or on the external SSD but from the videos I have seen , if i connect an external SSD I wont be able to continue my workflow, for exmaple if i start doing something on my computer and i have to leave but want to continue working on it, if I do this with an external SSD ipad wont let me continue working on the project as I left it off, or am i misunderstanding something? 

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have a lot yet to learn. There are two different versions of Lightroom. "I think", based on the plan you have subscribed to, you have access to both versions. Lightroom Classic is the version that works much like your "old" version that uses a local catalog and provides access to the images on your external hard drive. The new Lightroom (which some refer to as Lightroom CC) is the cloud-centered Version of Lightroom that if you import images directly to that version the master images will be stored directly to the cloud.

If you import your images using Lightroom Classic then you must create collections and choose to share those collections in order to have those images shared in the cloud. When you do that those collections go to Lightroom CC, but they do not impact your allotted cloud space. They are smart previews, not full-sized images. However, they can still be edited on your mobile devices and those edits will take effect on the master images. When you import images directly to Lightroom CC the full-sized images are loaded to the cloud and DO impact your cloud allotment. They will also be downloaded to Lightroom Classic. Those images will also be available to edit on all mobile devices as well as Lightroom Classic.

That's is starting step to introduce you to how the system works. Doesn't tell you everything. Maybe doesn't answer any of your questions. If you want to ask more questions and get answers from someone who REALLY knows, feel free to continue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your response, was wondering if I can double check with you if I understood you correctly, If I choose to use Lightroom CC, all of the photos with the master full size file is stored on the cloud, so each file is deducted from my total available memory, if I use Lightroom Classic, I will still have the ability to edit those photos in lightroom even though it isnt a full size picture , once I turn my computer back on and load up the files from my external SSD the edits will be synced on my computer even though I made them on my iPhone, iPad and so on? 

How is lightroom classic any different compared to CC? I am just thinking that I have no use for lightroom CC 1tb version since I can still have the ability to sync the edits between devices, yes the master file is only on the device that has the SSD connected , and it can only be exported on that computer that has the SSD connected since on the iPad it isnt the full size file?

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You seem to understand the concept. And the editing process transferring back and forth works as you describe. However, everything is dependent on good Internet service. Sometimes the synchronization process between devices can take time.

The difference between Lightroom and Lightroom Classic is that Classic is a more mature program as far as features are considered. It has been around for more than a decade now and has features that are not in the cloud-based version, at least not yet. When/if those features will be included is something that only Adobe knows. For instance, one feature that many users are asking for is the ability to print, and Lightroom for the cloud does not have that ability, at least not yet. That is just one example. There are other features that Lightroom does not include that Classic users are accustomed to, but they are too numerous and perhaps to some inconsequential to mention. Since you will have access to both versions you would do well to explore the two versions to become familiar with what each has to offer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree with your comment, Adobe Remote is useless.  I have had four different operators since last Wednesday.  One lost my photos from my harddrive and so I cannot get to them in On1 or Photoshop either.  Talk about fed up.  They have admitted it was their mistake and are going to discuss and get back to me in 48 hours.  Meanwhile I have nothing I can do.  This all started just opening my computer last Wednesday morning and Lightroom said there were no photos.  So discouraging and upsetting but I know right now others in the world are going through much more so I have to wait and hope they can find me 30,000 photos from 2005 on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines