Exit

Opening .CR2 files in Lightroom 5.4

New Here ,
Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am using a Canon Rebel eos SL2, and the RAW image format it uses is .CR2

I am using Lightroom 5.4 on Windows 10, and it does not recognize the files. 

I tried updating Lightroom, and it gives me the option to update to 5.7, but when I click on it, it takes me to "adobe.com/go/lightroom_5_updates_win_en" (pictured)

But, that web site doesn't seem to exist (pictured), so it just redirects me to the default Adobe downloads page. I called Adobe and they told me that I need to ask on the forums.

Would updating to Lightroom 5.7 even allow me to use the .CR2 files?

What do I need to do to be able to use these RAW files?

Thank you!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

There is no update to Lightroom 5, even if you could find it, that would support the raw files from that camera model. That model was not supported until Lightroom 2015.12. Your alternative would be to download the free DNG converter and create DNG copies that could be opened in the Lightroom version you are now using. Or, you could subscribe to the Creative Cloud photography plan, $9.99/month in the US and have access to Lightroom Classic and Photoshop. Another alternative would be to purchase

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CR2 files from different Canon camera models are different raw files, so older versions of Lightroom can support one but not the other. You can check here which version of Lightroom supports your camera: https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is no update to Lightroom 5, even if you could find it, that would support the raw files from that camera model. That model was not supported until Lightroom 2015.12. Your alternative would be to download the free DNG converter and create DNG copies that could be opened in the Lightroom version you are now using. Or, you could subscribe to the Creative Cloud photography plan, $9.99/month in the US and have access to Lightroom Classic and Photoshop. Another alternative would be to purchase Photoshop Elements.

If you should choose to download the DNG converter, here is a webpage where you can find it:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/digital-negative.html#downloads 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines