Highlighted

organisation in lightroom cc - double trouble link trouble

Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dear lightroom-enthusiasts!

yeah maybe it was not the initial purpose of lightroom cc....

but i have a folder on my d drive where i store all my pictures...

when i started to use lightroom i supposed when i import the pictures from that place it will create a link to that d drive folder as i know it from other adobe programs.

thought but not confirmed.

lightroom now created new folders and copies of my images on the c drive. result is that my c drive is fully littered with images >:(.

and i don't want them just to be shifted to the cloud.

Now when i delet the images on my c i suppose to loose all my edits.

I know now that you can shift the lightroom folders to another drive, but then i would have the folders two times on my D Drive.

So i ask you hopefully if there any option to link my original D folder without deleting all the information?
Or what do you recomend me now to do?

Greetings Larissa

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

organisation in lightroom cc - double trouble link trouble

Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dear lightroom-enthusiasts!

yeah maybe it was not the initial purpose of lightroom cc....

but i have a folder on my d drive where i store all my pictures...

when i started to use lightroom i supposed when i import the pictures from that place it will create a link to that d drive folder as i know it from other adobe programs.

thought but not confirmed.

lightroom now created new folders and copies of my images on the c drive. result is that my c drive is fully littered with images >:(.

and i don't want them just to be shifted to the cloud.

Now when i delet the images on my c i suppose to loose all my edits.

I know now that you can shift the lightroom folders to another drive, but then i would have the folders two times on my D Drive.

So i ask you hopefully if there any option to link my original D folder without deleting all the information?
Or what do you recomend me now to do?

Greetings Larissa

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thing....no, you cannot "link" LRCC to the set of originals of your external drive.

Basically, when you "import" photos into LRCC it first of all copies them into its own library space. It does this so that they are protected whilst they are being uploaded to the cloud, and the default library space in on the user's system drive. However, you can specify a different drive location for those copied originals if you wish.

So, when the upload has completed you will basically have three copies of your original files: the originals on the external drive (which LRCC totally ignores after the import), the copy that LRCC has stored in it's local library, and of course the third copy (which LRCC regards as the "master") will be in the cloud. The copy in the LRCC local library may over time be removed, how quickly depends on the amount of free space on the drive and the settings on the Local Storage tab of the LRCC preferences.

If you delete the any of the files in LRCC's local library, there will be no effect on your edits, provided the upload to the cloud has completed before you start deleting the local originals. As I said, once uploaded, LRCC regards the cloud copy as the master.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you jim for your response.

yeah what doesn't make sense for me is that you can't linkt it to your folder. it's not a external drive to which i'm referring me, it's just another partition.

but good, now i know how it works and will try it like that.

thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before you experiment any further, make sure you have your photos backed up. You need to be certain in your own mind that you won't lose anything if you make any mistakes from not understanding "Lightroom CC".

"Lightroom CC" is cloud-dependent. That's its concept, so folders on your local system can't be linked, and once photos have synced to the cloud it considers them to be the originals. Any local copies are only kept for convenience - eg if you work offline.

When you write about linking, you are probably thinking about the Lightroom that has been so successful for 10 years - that's now called "Lightroom Classic". It may be that Adobe's product names have misled you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines