• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Folders and album structure is gone after syncing with classic

Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2019 Oct 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have spent months of organizing about 20.000+ images into a well thought through folder and album system in the cloud. The advantage in Lightroom over classic is the ability to nest up to 5 levels. Which gives you a very nice organization system. That's why I didn't use the one level collections in classic. Brilliantly enough the mobile folder and album system used to sync with classic up to a few days ago.
One morning last week,  I checked my computer after an overnight sync process and my org-system was gone in mobile. The images are still in place. However, almost all folders and albums are missing. I now have to go through 20.000 images to rebuild my sorting system? I'm hesitated to do so and did ask support for help. They couldn't find an issue, eventhough working remotely on my PC. But what makes me really angry, ADOBE does not offer a backup restore. Allegedly their servers are not backed up? That is ridicoulus and is certainly not tru. NO SERVER runs without a backup!
I have chatted with several agents, responded to two emails but I'm still waiting for somebody trying to help me getting a viable solution (a backup-restore). Is this support community monitored by any Adobe tech? It feels to me that nobody wants to deal with me....
Poor ADOBE support!
I'm very disappointed and I can only warn my fellow Lightroom mobile users not to rely on the folder and album system in the cloud. You might regret it, like I do.
Hagen Pflueger

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you sync with Classic, then the Classic catalog becomes the master of the universe. Anything you have in the cloud becomes a copy of the master.

Using Classic and LR cloud together in a workflow is very complicated to understand fully, and there are many pitfalls - that's why Adobe doesn't recommend using them together. The average user should choose either Classic or Cloud, but not both. Disclaimer note - that's my interpretation of what I've read and learned - not any kind of official statement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your input Michael
I appreciate that.
However, if Adobe knows that their products do not work well together, they should simply disable such a functionality in my opinion. Using customers as guinea pigs for product testing and finding bugs is bad business behaviour. Not worthy of an established software giant like Adobe.
Secondly, I refuse to believe, that there is no cloud-backup available. That is just an excuse I won't buy!
Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2019 Oct 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what you have done and why. Lightroom Classic can nest collections into collection sets as deep as you want, but collection sets in Lightroom Classic do not sync with their Lightroom counterparts (folders). They never did, except when you migrate a Lightroom Classic catalog to Lightroom. Migrating a catalog and then keep using Lightroom Classic (and syncing this same catalog to the cloud) is a recipe for disaster, however.

Adobe does not recommend using Lightroom and Lightroom Classic together. The reason why you can do this nevertheless, is because they do not want to disable the old sync features in Lightroom Classic. This has nothing to do with being guinea pigs for product testing, quite the opposite. It's an at least five years old feature they do not want to disable for good reasons. Many experienced Lightroom Classic users use it to sync a selection of their images to their mobile devices.

As far as backups are concerned: of course the servers are backed up. Why Adobe does not (yet) offer a way to roll back to an earlier stage I don't know, but I agree that this is a serious omission. This is a user-to-user forum however, so this is not the place for complaints about that or for feature requests. Go to https://feedback.photoshop.com for that.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2019 Oct 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Johan
I will follow your advice and repost in the suggested forum: This is the Link.
Hagen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines