• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem in finding missing photos

New Here ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to retuen missing photos by this instruction here: https://helpx.adobe.com/fi/lightroom-classic/help/locate-missing-photos.html (which has some time previously been very helpful and successful until now). Lightroom finds only some of the files, but they are not "activated", they are light in colour (see my attached picture 1), or doesn`t find some at all. Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 18.25.11.png

However, in Mac, when I search for the files via FINDER, they do exist and are active, dark in colour (See my attached picture 2).
Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 18.25.52.png

How can I get to those files and return them back to Lightroom the correct way?

NOTE: I noticed that when I searched for my photos via Lightroom and via Mac Finder, the files that I want are all in XMP format. Their ARW format is missing. Why is this? 
Thanks heaps for your help, folks 😄

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The XMP files are "sidecar" files which Lightroom (or any other imaging software) can create alongside the raw file. These sidecar files would typically contain metadata relating to the originals which was added in Lightroom, including any editing instructions.

The problem is that Lightroom can only read the contents of XMP sidecar files in conjunction with the original raw file, so if the raw file is missing (as it appears to be) there's nothing that Lightroom can do with those sidecar files. Basically, you need to figure out why the raw files are missing but the XMP sidecars are still in place. If you can't find them, do you have a backup of your images that you could search?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi,
Yeah thanks for this response. I must go through my back-up and see what s “happening”.

Sari Mikkola

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines