Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Purchased a new Mac

New Here ,
Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello --

I have all my Lightroom images on a USB External Hard Drive, I recently developed issues with my 2012 iMac where it stopped recognizing the external drive so I purchased a new 2017 iMac.

My question is can I simply connect my USB External Hard Drive with all my Lightroom images to my new iMac? Can I install moving forward and use the latest version of Lightroom with no issues? I have Mojave on my new iMac. Since my old iMac is no longer recognizing the External Hard Drive I don't remember what letter it assigned to it, will this create a problem?

Thank You

Daniel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drive letters relate to Windows. On MacOS external drives are automatically recognized by name.

Are you using Lightroom Classic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

99jon --

Lightroom CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the drive name is recognized on the new iMac, everything should be OK.

With the cloud version of Lightroom you simply install from the apps tab in the Creative Cloud desktop app. As all masters are stored in the cloud everything will automatically update. 

If the external drive is not recognized you can set up an alternative file path for local storage or simply use the default cache if you don’t regularly need to edit photos off-line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

99jon--

Thank you!

99jon would you recommend staying on High Sierra? Or upgrading to Mojave before installing?

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 2.3.1 is compatible with Mojave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2019 Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

99jon thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2019 Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Lightroom are you using? It sounds like you are using Classic because your images are on an external drive. Lightroom puts everything in the cloud so the drive doesn‘t matter. I can move your post to the correct forum if you can confirm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My client has both installed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can get your installed version number from the menu:

Help >> System Info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

99jon

Everything went smoothly my client is not computer savvy, he had 261gb of images (36,000 images) on his local drive (Old iMac). I transferred all his images onto a new 4tb USB External and mounted that on his new iMac Adobe. On his new iMac I logged in with his Adobe ID and used Creative Cloud to install Lightroom Classic. Adobe Tech Support was awesome.

Thank you for your help.

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines