Highlighted

Radial filter applies settings to the entire image in Lightroom

New Here ,
Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to editing photos in general. When using the radial filter, I find that it's applying to whatever settings I customize for the filter to the entire image, not just the filter (inverted or not). I imagine it's a setting I have or something clicked that shouldn't be- just can't figure out what. thanks. 

TOPICS
How to, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Radial filter applies settings to the entire image in Lightroom

New Here ,
Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to editing photos in general. When using the radial filter, I find that it's applying to whatever settings I customize for the filter to the entire image, not just the filter (inverted or not). I imagine it's a setting I have or something clicked that shouldn't be- just can't figure out what. thanks. 

TOPICS
How to, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 21, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry that the Radial filter in Lightroom is not working as the filter settings gets applied to the entire image rather than focusing the selected area.

Which version of Lightroom are you using? Like Lightroom Classic 9.4 or Lightroom Desktop 3.4

Would you mind restoring Lightroom Classic app preferences to default and let us know if the issue still persists? Please refer this article for step by step instructions: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html#restore_preferences_to_def... 

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Akash

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using Lightroom Classic, a common cause of this issue is that the sliders for the radial filter (same applies with gradient filter and adjustment brush) are hidden, so the only sliders which the user sees then are the Basic panel sliders below, which of course do apply to the entire image. See this first screenshot with the radial filter sliders "collapsed", as the indicated arrow is pointing left, so only the Basic panel sliders are exposed.

rad1.PNG

Clicking on that arrow will expand the panel to reveal the set of radial filter sliders, which of course only work on the masked area.

rad2.PNG

Another possible cause is that the filter is inverted using the checkbox near the bottom of the panel, if that is checked the adjustments apply to the image outside the masked area, not inside. That might lead one to think the adjustment is being applied globally to the entire image.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2020 0