Exit

Radial Gradient Independence

New Here ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone,

First time posting here.

I am having a two issues with the Radial Gradient tool in Lightroom CC.

Problem 1: In the online tutorial, the instructor is able to manipulate the entire image before applying a Radial Gradient by using the sliders AFTER entering the Radial Gradient tool area. Yes, I know you can do this from the main Edit Tool, but she was doing it from within the Radial Gradient tool, which my version will not allow me to do.

Problem 2: Once I apply a Radial Gradient, lets say to a model's face, and increase the exposure within it, I then want to separately and independently, control the area outside of the Radial Gradient. In the tutorial, this is achieved by clicking or unclicking the "Invert" button; it basically just changes your area of control from the inside of the Gradient to the outside or vice versa. Mine however, swaps the current settings for the outside area to the inside and the inside area to the outside. Basically, I am looking for a way to manipulate the inside of the Radial Gradient area, lock it, and then switch to everything that is outside of the Radial Gradient and manipulate that without one affecting the other. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After making the 'internal' radial gradient-

1) [Right-Click] on the radial pin,

2) Select [Duplicate]

3) Click to check the [Invert] option.

4) Make the 'external' radial adjustment.

Many would do this by a 'Global' adjustment of the whole photo first, then add the one Radial Gradient for the 'local' adjustment.

RE: Editing Globally AFTER setting a Radial Graduation that is still active.

You may have been watching a tutorial for Lightroom-CLASSIC in which the Basic 'global' adjustment panel appears below the 'local' Gradient panel-  Often a cause for confusion when setting sliders in the 'wrong' panel!

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines