Highlighted

Really large Lightroom library.lrlibrary

Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

My lightroom lrlibrary file has grown to be really huge. It is at 122 GB right now and a separate file, "Photos Library" is 27 GB in size. 

Any ideas what to do? This is really eating up the space on my laptop.

System details: macOS Catalina 10.15

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

TOPICS
Mac, Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Really large Lightroom library.lrlibrary

Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

My lightroom lrlibrary file has grown to be really huge. It is at 122 GB right now and a separate file, "Photos Library" is 27 GB in size. 

Any ideas what to do? This is really eating up the space on my laptop.

System details: macOS Catalina 10.15

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

TOPICS
Mac, Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 29, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photos Library is your library for the Photos app and has nothing to do with Lightroom so don't touch that. The Lightroom.lrlibrary file is controlled by the setting in Preferences->local storage. You should see a preference for photo cache size there and preferences to store smart previews and whether to store local copies for everything. Set the photo cache size to a smaller number and after a few days you should see the lrlibrary file decrease. Also you can generally turn off the local copy option. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 29, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! That's very useful. 

I had my options set to 25% of the available disk space (now reduced it to 10%) and had the "local copy option" set to off already. Hopefully the reduction (25% to 10%) will help.

Also, can I delete the current files in the local copy (in the "originals" folder) safely?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 29, 2020 0
Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you click on the cloud icon in Lightroom and it says "Synced and Backed up" you can delete files from the orginals folder inside the lrlibrary file indeed. But make absolutely sure Lightroom says everything is synced and backed up.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 29, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually have a copy of the originals on my desktop -- I had imported it separately from the camera before adding it to LR as an album. So I'm assuming that should be fine?

Thanks for your informative responses btw!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 30, 2020 0
Jao vdL LATEST
Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is probably good if you are sure they have been added into Lightroom and have been synced to the cloud. I generally recommend people back up their images separately themselves as the cloud system Adobe provides is not really a backup as you can easily delete images without a good way to get them back.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 30, 2020 1