• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Returning a Lightroom CC photo back into Lightroom after it's edited in Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No p;roblem editing Lightroon CC photo in Photoshop. I Save the file to the Cloud but it never got back to Lightroom.  That is different than it was about a month ago.  The file seems to be saved in a folder "Temporary Edits" but I can't find my edited photo in that folder whenn I do a Spotlight search to "Temporary Edits".  What is the procedure for getting a Photoshop-edited photo back into Lightroom CC?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Cmd+E (open in Photoshop)

Cmd+S to save Photoshop edits

Cmd+W to close in Photoshop and update Lightroom Library – stacked with original

N.B. don’t use “Save As” which will create a new document which Lightroom will not recognize. You must use “Save” (Cmd+S) to overwrite the tiff file sent from Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cmd+E (open in Photoshop)

Cmd+S to save Photoshop edits

Cmd+W to close in Photoshop and update Lightroom Library – stacked with original

N.B. don’t use “Save As” which will create a new document which Lightroom will not recognize. You must use “Save” (Cmd+S) to overwrite the tiff file sent from Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Before I read your reply I "saved as" the edited file to my computer to a file on my desktop, imported that file into Lightroom and placed it in the appropriate album.  Then I tried to exit Lightroom but got a warning that if I did Photoshop could not return the edited file to Lightroom - Photoshop was waiting 18 hours for me do do something, but what?  Previouly, I had saved the file to the Cloud in Photoshop.  Maybe the problem was that I had not exited Photoshop (thanks for the "cmd + W"). 

I should be OK now.  Thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me at first and now it's not have you had an my issue lately?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not the case for me. I've been searching everywhere for this answer, but I truly cannot find it anywhere. I've been trying to work out this issue for about 3 weeks now.

What I've found is, that occasionally it DOES replicate the changes back into Lightroom CC, and I see my number of photos in my catalogue raise by one. This is always simply saving, and closing from PS (i.e. no Save As). I really cant work out why, or what I'm doing differently when it's successful or not. I thought that possibly the 'Autosave' feature is breaking the round trip, as my first suspicion was that if I've worked for a long time like one hour, in PS, it would rarely show the changes in LR. If I use the Edit in PS action from LR, then immediately make one change on the single layer, save and close (or close and save) it was successful. 

However, the reason I take shots into PS is to retouch portraits, so I start duplicating layers, using layered masks etc. It seems once it comes back into LR, the layers are flattened into one layer. I only know this by taking it back into PS.

So is there any further info on this round tripping process in LR (and I hear so much about it in LrC, which I used for years. But LR Desktop/CC, or whatever we call it these days, is just failing me.

Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tested this today

1. On the Mac, Shift + CMD + E - opens the file in Photoshop.

2. Cmd + S saves the file to a folder called TemporaryEdits in the Lightroom Library.lilibrary file

3. CMD+W does return the file to Lightroom as a tiff file. I do not see where it is stacked as we see in Lightroom Classic. In fact the original DNG file is no longer in Lightroom CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check that - at the top of the file icon is a little 2 clicking on that shows the 2 images. Learn somegting new.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I totally understand those steps you took. And, they work for me, sometimes. However, the times it seems to fail is if I've had the file open in Photoshop for a considerable length of time (1 hour+). THats when it does NOT replicate back into LR, or even show the changes in the TemporaryEdits folder version.

That's why it's most frustrating, because the amount of work done, that becomes lost.

If I do those steps you highlighted with minimal time spent in Photoshop, and the whole round trip done within a minute, it seems to work fine and the file replicates back into LR.

So to me, it seems to be related to some activity/automation behind the scenes that's breaking the round trippping link if the workflow is active for an amount of time. How much time, I do not know. I looked at (and turned off) Auto-save in PS, but that didn't seem to correct the issue.

As for your orig DNG file dissappearing in LR after the round-trip, is odd. Not sure what's happening there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is my 'take' on the topic of "Round Tripping" Lightroom <> Photoshop-

1) I had created a Panorama from several images oin Lr. The small Badge indicates the images used in a Stack.

2) I  opened the Panorama version in Ps [Ctrl+Shift+E] and increased Saturation, then [Save] [Close] The Saturated image appears on top of stack.

3) I opened the new Ps 'saturated' version in Ps, add a Mono adjustment layer,  then [Save] [Close]. The new 'Mono' image is now shown on top of the stack. And all three versions (original panorama, Saturated panorama, Mono panorama) appear as versions in the expanded stack-

The 'Mountains' badge indicates the one version that shows in Grid view.

2021-09-22 09_39_21-Window.jpg    2021-09-22 09_39_03-Window.jpg

At any time later I can select a Ps-edited version of the panorama and it re-opens in Ps with layers intact- (no flattening of layers occurs for me)

eg. This is the Mono preview in Lr re-opened in Ps.

2021-09-22 09_38_49-Window.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines