Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shooting in Raw and editing photos on older 2011 macbook pro

Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

A beginner question here. Well, 2 questions really. I have an old 2011 macbook pro to edit photos. I have taken a few photos and played around trying to edit them with the "apple photo" software, BUT it seems to be really slow to do any editing.  I want to use Lightroom to edit as I think it is much better. My questions are can my old computer handle the software (it won't be slow) and do I need to download a specific version of lightroom?? If my macbook is too old, do I need to get a more current model? thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's more than likely that the MBP won't upgrade past Mac OS 10.13 which the latest versions of Lightroom will not be compatible with. Although you can currently install the earlier version that is, but I doubt it will be available past the next new release.

(I have a 2011 MBP and this is the case with mine).

I would prepare to upgrade as it's best to future proof yourself. The trouble is obviously the cost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks yes, the OS is 10.13.6 high sierra.   Yes I know my MBP is getting old now, but it's still great for just normal office work and surfing the web.  I recently bought a camera and want to do more editing and shoot in RAW.  Is your MBP fast enough to edit and use lightroom??  I can not afford to get a newer version this year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I'm using the Cloud Based Lightroom and version 3.4 works okay and is still available through the Creative Cloud app under Other Versions.

Are you intending to use the Cloud Based or the local disc based Lightroom Classic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cool, yer I think I will subscribe to the cloud based lightroom. I have no idea if it's better, but I live remotely and live in France so everything is always a little bit harder for me.

cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Cloud Based Lightroom requires pretty good internet connection though as all photos are synced to Adobe's Servers to be available on all your devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it's better if I find version 3.4 and download it? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you live in a remote location, is the Internet connection suitable to handle the upload of RAW files to the Cloud though, if not then Lightroom Classic may be the best option.

If you read Jim Hess' reply on this thread below, it's a pretty good explanation of the difference between the two versions of Lightroom (there are different plans you can subscribe to):

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom/which-version-of-lightroom-is-best-lightroom-vs-lightroom-c...

By the way, as well as Lightroom 3.4, Lightroom Classic 9.4 is still available as well to download via the Creative Cloud app. Both compatible with 10.13.

I haven't a clue if they will be available after the next major updates or if the CC app will always give you an option for your version of the OS you are running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2021 Apr 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Cheers thanks for the help. It's a bit confusing. I just want to be able to edit some photos and be sure my old MBP can handle LR. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines